POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : povray 3.6 on Snow Leopard / X11 : Re: povray 3.6 on Snow Leopard / X11 Server Time
24 Apr 2024 13:19:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray 3.6 on Snow Leopard / X11
From: TSGM
Date: 12 Oct 2011 21:00:01
Message: <web.4e9637d4c3cac33331848b5f0@news.povray.org>
"lainal" <dla### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> Gents,
>
> For those interested in, I managed to compile povray 3.6 on Mac OS 10.8 since I
> didn't found any working version on the Web (PPC distribution is hitting Rosetta
> issues). Hereafter the way I went in 7 steps:
> 0 - Download the source code for Linux / Generic and unarchive
> 1 - hack all 3 "configure.ac" files to add "foreign" in the parameters of the
> macro "AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE"  (some GNU distribution mandatory files are missing)
> 2 - create the configure script with autoreconf -i
> 3 - edit the top "configure" and add at the 1st active line the following:
>       ac_cv_prog_egrep=/usr/bin/egrep
> 4 - Configure with:
>       CFLAGS="-m32" CXXFLAGS="-m32" \
>       ./configure COMPILED_BY="<your mail address>" --with-x
> 5 - make
> 6 - make install (possibly preceded by su)

Dear Dominique,

I too am running OSX Lion and I'm trying to install POVRay. Unfortunately, I'm
quite clueless about Unix, so I'm hoping you (or someone else) can clarify your
instructions. For example, I'm already lost on step 1 (what configure.ac files?)

I would most appreciate it if you could guide me through the installation and
compilation process, on the assumption that I know little about using make files
or unix in general.

Thanks!