POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Frontend and backend communication : Re: Frontend and backend communication Server Time
18 Apr 2024 03:30:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Frontend and backend communication
From: Jack Burton
Date: 30 Jun 2011 11:15:01
Message: <web.4e0c92596201fd8eed1c03580@news.povray.org>
"Jack Burton" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> I'm trying to understand the communication between the backend and frontend,
> particularly when the backend requests blocks of data.

I've made some progress on understanding the communication between the frontend
and backend, but I still need some clarification (and some painkillers).

I'm attempting to make a distributed version of POV-Ray 3.7 using Open MPI. Most
of the issues are ensuring that the distributed POV-Ray instances (slaves) get
the next rectangle/block/tile from a master. I've been trying to isolate exactly
where to put in various Open MPI commands to send and receive data across nodes.
I originally looked around the GetNextRectangle() and StartRender() methods, but
I think I've stumbled onto a possible solution that'll fix distribution (but not
the image combination, that can come later).

Would be possible to globally share the various lists and mutexes from the
maste, and update them across a number of slaves that do the rendering, so when
each slaves backend rendering thread requests data, they do so from an
up-to-date list.

I hope that's not too vague a question. I'm still trying to understand POV-Ray's
structure. Feel free to correct me!

Thanks.