POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : GPU : Re: GPU Server Time
24 Apr 2024 16:40:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GPU
From: Tamas Gunda
Date: 13 May 2011 04:30:00
Message: <web.4dccead9eed3d57ab677d1e90@news.povray.org>
> Am 12.05.2011 18:19, schrieb Darren New:
> > On 5/12/2011 1:00, Tamas Gunda wrote:
> >> the GPU temperature clearly raises by about 15 deg.
> >
> > How much does the CPU temperature go up? Could it be spill-over heat?
>
> Sounds line the most plausible thing to me; POV-Ray typically gives the
> CPU a pretty hot time; if airflow in the casing is poor, the GPU cooler
> will breathe in hot air, greatly reducing its efficiency.

Good point. To check this assumption I started some very computation-demanding
quantum chemistry calculations without graphics, and it also raised the GPU
temperature by about 14-15 deg C.
Obviously this is very hardware-depending. You may want to check it in your
compy. The above mentioned Open Hardware Monitor is very friendly, it does not
install anything, you have simply to copy
it to somewhere and start the exe file.