POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : POV-Ray + Google Streetview : Re: POV-Ray + Google Streetview Server Time
25 Apr 2024 06:02:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray + Google Streetview
From: RobF
Date: 12 Nov 2010 22:25:01
Message: <web.4cde04e967a3891c42eda7880@news.povray.org>
> RobF wrote:
>
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCKmdi5-HQw
>
> Impressive ... I think? I'm actually not quite sure
> what you did here. Do I understand correctly that Google
> fits a car with GPS and cameras, takes it on a tour,
> processes the images to make panoramic views available
> in Google Maps, you download all of them for the entire
> route by script and then use POV-Ray to project then
> onto an environment cube or sphere so it looks like
> you were in the car?

That's pretty much correct. Each panorama is made of a number of square tiles
(512x512 pixels). I used POV-Ray to stitch them together. The merged panorama is
already a spherical projection, so I wrapped the panorama image around a sphere
and placed the camera inside.

The nice thing about the spherical panorama is that it allows the camera to
rotate in any direction, making an animation a bit more interesting (for
example, banking while turning around a sharp corner). In addition, objects
placed inside the panorama will reflect their environment correctly.

Cheers,

Rob.
---
http://www.fitzel.ca/dart