POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : installer POV-Ray 3.7 beta 38 issues : Re: installer POV-Ray 3.7 beta 38 issues Server Time
19 Apr 2024 16:52:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: installer POV-Ray 3.7 beta 38 issues
From: stevenvh
Date: 3 Aug 2010 01:55:00
Message: <web.4c57ae6387ca3686c0721a1d0@news.povray.org>
> It has always been our intention to 'advertise' (Microsoft term) the module
> that installs the per-user files; this is what gets activated on first run.
> However this is still a Windows Setup module, so it would have the same
> issue. I am sure there is a way to tell Windows not to remove these files;
> it's just a way of working out how. I don't really want to have to write
> code to manually copy and install them, as it kind of defeats the purpose
> of having an installer.
>
> (Of course, as soon as I do that, someone is inevitably going to complain
> that POV-Ray doesn't clean up after itself when it's uninstalled ...)

(I made modifications to povray.ini and quickres.ini.)

How about this:
let the installer place the ini-files at the program location (like in version
3.6), and copy them to Documents and Settings on first run, without overwriting
existing files.
That way there's no problem if the installer removes the files created at
install.
There may be a problem when a new version adds new items which won't get copied
to the existing files, however.