POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Microsoft Arrrrggghhh! : Re: Microsoft Arrrrggghhh! Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:18:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Microsoft Arrrrggghhh!
From: clipka
Date: 26 Jul 2009 09:45:01
Message: <web.4a6c5d7733922e41877441c40@news.povray.org>
> Yeah. Or it copies a bunch of files, then stops and says "this one is read
> only" (Move them all!), then another bunch and says "this one is encrypted"
> (move the all, dammit!), then anoother bunch that says "this one is a system
> file" (you just won't listen, will you!?).  :-)

Interesting thing I always wonder, what does Windows Explorer do when it
"prepares to copy" files?

You'd assume that it makes a list of files it intends to copy/move. If that is
so, why in Microsoft's seven circles of Hell doesn't it examine those file
attributes as it goes along? Would be easy then to *first* pop up a dialog with
check boxes to choose which files to process despite special attributes, warning
about files currently locked etc., *then* go about to actually copy/move the
smash.

If it would encounter issues because the status of some particular file changed
before Windows actually processed it, it could still pop up its nagging window
(or, better yet, leave that to a dialog at the end, prompting you to decide how
to deal with the problematic files).

It would also be nice if Windows Explorer could guesstimate from the file sizes
whether they all fit on the target drive...

But noooo...