POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : The Rules : Re: The Rules Server Time
27 Sep 2024 19:13:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Rules
From: Hildur K
Date: 14 Jun 2009 09:50:01
Message: <web.4a34feb92f2043cd421830f90@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mcavoysAT@aolDOTcom> wrote:

> Were you looking over my shoulder? :)

Guess we all do similar things in similar situations ;)

> >technical, because after all most 3D applications have similar functions
> >(model, texture, lighting, and in some cases mathematical functions).
>
> But do they? And after the first twenty or so...

Reading through the documentation often changes my idea about a rendering
completely. Often I come to appreciate images much more after reading. If
somebody does not say much about their work, neither explains the concept nor
the method, often this makes me give lower score, not because I want to punish

thinking and how they are working.

This is not a fast rule though, sometimes the undocumented rendering simply
looks very impressive and this affects the way I vote.

> But if I may hazard the opinion that sometimes the technical is transparent and
> not even seen.

True, and makes documenting very important, if people want to receive higher
score that is.

English is not my native language. Writing a documentation can be a challenge,
but as long a you can make yourself understood, using a few words to explain
the idea and writing a simple list of techniques used, then it is very helpful
to those who are trying to evaluate your work. Without the documentation I
think many good renderings would have gone under my radar.

Hildur K.