POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Possible solution for camera conundrum : Re: Possible solution for camera conundrum Server Time
19 Apr 2024 23:49:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Possible solution for camera conundrum
From: clipka
Date: 4 Jun 2009 18:35:00
Message: <web.4a284b43c526c1d1b1494fac0@news.povray.org>
Chambers <Ben### [at] gmailcom_no_underscores> wrote:
> scott wrote:
> > But there should also be a "clip" option where the image is scaled up
> > (and cropped) so the image output size is exactly as you specified and
>
> I would be against that, as it would (essentially) be POV-Ray
> automatically editing your image.  Let the scene designer edit the
> image; let POV render it.

I can imagine situations where even the scene author himself (!) may *want* that
to happen.

Yes, scene designer and "end user" may be different persons.

No, they need not necessarily be.

Yes, the scene designer may have a very categoric opinion about this issues.

No, it doesn't necessarily have to be the same opinion you are holding.

I say, give freedom to *both* the scene editor (by allowing him to express
clearly what his thoughts about this issue are, and respect them by default),
and the "end user" (by allowing him to deliberately override the author's
intentions).

For instance, when someone buys a poster, you can't prevent him from cropping it
to fit a frame he happens to have.

Now you'll surely argue that anyone is free to crop the output of a render
afterwards with image editing software.

However, I say that this argument falls short, because being able to
automatically crop may also be considered a feature even by scene authors
themselves.

So in order to protect *some* scene authors from oh-so-evil "end users", you
want to forfeit something that *other* scene authors may want for themselves?