POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : SVG Support / Improved Heightfield feature : Re: SVG Support / Improved Heightfield feature Server Time
19 Apr 2024 15:32:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SVG Support / Improved Heightfield feature
From: Kenneth
Date: 19 May 2009 15:10:00
Message: <web.4a13037b8dc34719f50167bc0@news.povray.org>
"Woody" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Would added support for SVG files be of any use to anyone?
>
> I can think of at least one area where they would offer greater accuracy (height
> fields) than the current supported file formats. Since at best, the height field
> can only be anti-aliased, the result is still "pixelated".

I'm not sure I understand how this would affect height_field accuracy, or how
the process would work. Since a HF is, by nature, made of triangles, the SVG
'image' would have to be rasterized(?) to produce pixels (so that the standard
HF code could then use them to get triangle vertices.) Am I correct so far?

If so, then how would POV's standard HF code determine what triangle
*resolution* to use to make the HF?

However, I *can* see advantages when using an SVG graphic with one of the HF
mesh generators in shapes.inc (where we can choose the HF resolution.) In such
a case, a very hi-rez, detailed HF could be made.

Ken W.