POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : A Feature of Possible Use : Re: A Feature of Possible Use Server Time
18 Apr 2024 15:11:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Feature of Possible Use
From: clipka
Date: 21 Apr 2009 18:25:00
Message: <web.49ee4713811cc9b4c3ad972c0@news.povray.org>
John VanSickle <evi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Pardon me if this has already been suggested.

The idea is indeed not new: Something along these lines is implemented in
MegaPOV. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be on the agenda for regular POV
3.7.

I'd consider this a good thing to have in a POV 4 SDL, at any rate.

>    #else_if(type(Paint)="pigment") // yeah, the SDL could use an
>                                      // else-if statement, if it
>                                      // doesn't already have one

POV 3.6 SDL doesn't, but I consider it an essential of any well-designed syntax
to allow for something like an else-if - whether implicitly due to the overall
language design (like C for instance) or explicitly due to a dedicated
statement (like C's preprocessor language).