POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : POVRAY v4 SDL, Basic/Advanced/Intermediate : Re: POVRAY v4 SDL, Basic/Advanced/Intermediate Server Time
19 Apr 2024 21:55:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRAY v4 SDL, Basic/Advanced/Intermediate
From: Woody
Date: 19 Apr 2009 15:30:01
Message: <web.49eb7b84b3289e3c41e4df50@news.povray.org>
> > My fear is that POVRay v4 SDL becomes too basic people will opt for an
> > alternative like Blender,

I apologize if I offended you with my lack of technical jargon knowledge or if I
made an inapropriate assumption.

With regards to Blender, I simply meant that if POVRay's SDL became to simple
they might opt for an alternative like blender that utilizes both the
"graphical modeller aproach" as well as the "text" based approach that POVRay
uses. In this respect they get the best of both worlds whereas they don't with
POVRAY.

> So, if it becomes "advanced and complicated" as Python, people will opt to make
> inumerous low-level verbose calls to OpenGL?  riiiight...

So OpenGL was not a good example. Let me clarify my position. The more abstract
and complicated something (like povray) is to learn, including how climplicated
the SDL/or scripting language, the more unattractive it is. If something becomes
overly complicated, you may gain a few users going from beginner to intermediate
or intermediate to advanced, but I'm sure you'll loose a few users who are
looking to become beginner or intermediate.

I simply meant that if openGL was less complicated game programming would
probably be taught along with BASIC in the fourth grade, and my uncle's grandma
would be making video games. My nephew in the fourth grade does stuff in POVRAY
because it is easy to learn.

Does that clarify my position and why I was using the wording I did?