POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : POVRAY v4 SDL, Basic/Advanced/Intermediate : Re: POVRAY v4 SDL, Basic/Advanced/Intermediate Server Time
20 Apr 2024 00:37:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRAY v4 SDL, Basic/Advanced/Intermediate
From: nemesis
Date: 19 Apr 2009 14:55:01
Message: <web.49eb7378b3289e3d59ce37e0@news.povray.org>
I fear your fears don't really exist. :)

"Woody" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> As many others Like Warp and Clipka have mentioned, people that are scared away
> by SDLs often prefer graphical modellers. Very complicated SDLs that look like
> C/C++, Python, Java, etc. and also be scary.

What is really scary is to think people can even think a Python-like SDL would
be as complicated and scary like C/C++ or Java.

> My fear is that POVRay v4 SDL becomes too basic people will opt for an
> alternative like Blender,

This is false:  people opting for Blender are not doing it because it is
scriptable in Python rather than POV's SDL.

> whereas if it becomes too advanced they will opt for
> something more like OpenGL (even though it is not technically a ray-tracer, the
> simmilar difficult may make it appealing).

So, if it becomes "advanced and complicated" as Python, people will opt to make
inumerous low-level verbose calls to OpenGL?  riiiight...

More than anything, I fear you don't understand the technical jargon you're
talking about.