POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : POVRAY v4 SDL, Basic/Advanced/Intermediate : POVRAY v4 SDL, Basic/Advanced/Intermediate Server Time
25 Apr 2024 14:53:17 EDT (-0400)
  POVRAY v4 SDL, Basic/Advanced/Intermediate
From: Woody
Date: 19 Apr 2009 14:30:00
Message: <web.49eb6cada59c2835c41e4df50@news.povray.org>
As many others Like Warp and Clipka have mentioned, people that are scared away
by SDLs often prefer graphical modellers. Very complicated SDLs that look like
C/C++, Python, Java, etc. and also be scary. At the same time very basic SDLs
are somewhat limiting in features.

My fear is that POVRay v4 SDL becomes too basic people will opt for an
alternative like Blender, whereas if it becomes too advanced they will opt for
something more like OpenGL (even though it is not technically a ray-tracer, the
simmilar difficult may make it appealing). Currently everyone I've spoken likes
the fact that there is a middle road.

Believe it or not I am actually doing research on this for a school project. I'm
trying to get an idea of how many and what percentage of people prefer

a) a very basic SDL (less difficult than what we have currently)
b) an intermediate SDL (equal in difficulty or around as difficult to what we
have currently)
c) an advanced SDL (something that looks like C/C++ Java, Python, PHP, etc. or

d) someother description not referenced above.

If anyone could tell me whether they prefer a), b), c) or d) I'd certainly
appreciate it.