POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Caching parsed code : Re: Caching parsed code Server Time
24 Apr 2024 22:07:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Caching parsed code
From: clipka
Date: 15 Apr 2009 17:55:00
Message: <web.49e65798e0976a9b255d1edc0@news.povray.org>
nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> OTOH, you do not mean you integrated Perl inside povray, did you?
> Instead of trying to measure SDL's speed on something it's not
> specialized at, what about integrating Perl inside povray so it could
> directly call povray's object creation functions via FFI or something
> and then use that to parse a simple Perl script that would generate a
> scene?  And then benchemarking that against the builtin SDL.
>
> What you did was just measure SDL's slow macro processing, not it's
> speed at povray internal object creation.

That's a valid benchmark nonetheless: My slowest-parsing POV scenes spend most
of their time doing math, often not even instantiating objects directly but
instead doing text output - generating .inc files that I can later just include
instead of running the time-consuming parts again.

On some occasions, it's 30 minutes of math vs. 5 minutes of actual scene stuff
generation.