POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Any solution on failure of POV-RAY 3.6 on intel MACs? : Re: Any solution on failure of POV-RAY 3.6 on intel MACs? Server Time
20 Apr 2024 03:16:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Any solution on failure of POV-RAY 3.6 on intel MACs?
From: triple r
Date: 18 Jan 2009 00:00:00
Message: <web.4972b680c0d61039ef2b9ba40@news.povray.org>
"jasonkrupert" <jas### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

> Identifier:      POV-Ray Mac 3.6
> Version:         ??? (56721408)
> Code Type:       PPC (Translated)
> Parent Process:  launchd [63]

> Translated Code Information:
> Rosetta Version:  21.03

Sorry in advance that I can't offer a solution.  Also, I suppose you can't
benchmark something that won't run, but it might be better (if you care about
speed) to run it natively by compiling the unix version yourself.  I found this
very simple to do, and it looks like Rosetta performance is about 50% that of
native performance.  I'm no expert on this, but only took a quick look at the
following:

http://www.geekpatrol.ca/2006/02/rosetta-performance/

I could be completely wrong about performance, but this seems reasonable, even
pretty good.

 - Ricky