POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.programming : Radiosity in 3.6 vs. 3.7 : Re: Radiosity in 3.6 vs. 3.7 Server Time
19 Apr 2024 10:06:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity in 3.6 vs. 3.7
From: Kenneth
Date: 25 Dec 2008 23:35:01
Message: <web.49545d7a23ccd53b78dcad930@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> This is a section of a scene using almost exclusively radiosity-based lighting,
> as rendered by:
>
> (a) POV-ray 3.6.1c using fairly high quality radiosity settings, and a separate
> pretrace render with save_file/load_file (i.e. doing pretrace and final render
> in separate runs of POV-ray) which I found to smoothen out quite a lot of
> artifacts in the picture. The main shot was taken twice the resolution shown
> here.

Apologies in advance if I'm confused about something: When *loading* the rad
data, did you use the accepted 'witchcraft' thing of setting both
pretrace_start and pretrace_end to 1 (along with always_sample off)? Or did you
run the loaded data with the exact same rad settings that you saved it with? I'm
curious if either one or the other made any visual difference (that is, any
difference from single-pass radiosity.)

BTW, *funny* cat image!

Ken W.