POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : TC-RTC comments : Re: TC-RTC comments Server Time
23 Apr 2024 07:07:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: TC-RTC comments
From: Hildur K
Date: 2 Sep 2008 06:35:01
Message: <web.48bd1625f7aedb2eb34d91590@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlDOTnet> wrote:
> "Hildur K." <hil### [at] 3dcafemailevery1net> schreef in bericht

> Hmm. Yes, I see what you mean. There are several settings that I am not
> really sure of and I mostly leave them alone. Those I always experiment with
> in each scene are error_bound, count, recursion_limit, gray_threshold. To
> tell the truth, I always feel a bit unconfortable with radiosity. I
> certainly lack a deep knowledge of the thing, unfortunately.

mathematical/scientific person. Stubborn maybe. I simply took the "ideal"
settings from the manual and worked from there. I think I made something like a
million test renderings to "get the feel" of what works, looking at the work of
other people to see what is really possible. A very time consuming hobby.

 Lessons are learned the hard
> way, especially by lazy pupils....

Sounds like the perfect description of me... how did you know ;)

> I don't mind having render times of several days (my latest for the new
> TC-RTC round is already in that stage), and I agree that it is worth the
> while. I am going to experiment further with this, especially as I am not
> really happy with the scene in its present state, which is the reason I am
> surprised at even getting a second place at all...

There are some very good elements in your scene. The characters are simply
great. They look very much alive. Composition and modeling is great... The
overall situation is working very well.

If you write to me directly (contact through my site) I can email you a small
zip file I already have, containing some basic radiosity code I made for an
outdoor solution. I think I also made a description to go with it.

is good and valid but should we all be inventing the wheel?

Hildur