POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : hdr : Re: hdr Server Time
25 Apr 2024 06:40:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: hdr
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 14 Apr 2007 15:00:01
Message: <web.462123e4c3e2923b2ac336070@news.povray.org>
> Of course, a *really* smart macro might perform a recursive subdivision
> on the sphere, using more light sources in areas where there is a lot of
> light and/or structure, similar to anti-aliasing ;)

Perhaps I should think about releasing the one that I have been developing
for a while (perhaps this week, I think I am probably at a point where I am
satisfied with its performance...).  It sort of does what your are
describing through use of a median cut algorithm which does it naturally
without the need for recursion.  It is basically the opposite of the idea
of evenly placing light sources with varying brightness.  It instead places
light sources of equal brightness with varying spacing.  With this method, a
good overall scene lighting is achieved with fewer light sources and without
sacrificing light contribution from any one area.

-tgq