POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Reflected sunlight falls on a material, over the year : Re: Reflected sunlight falls on a material, over the year Server Time
19 Apr 2024 13:52:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reflected sunlight falls on a material, over the year
From: Philipp
Date: 15 Jan 2007 06:25:00
Message: <web.45ab635aaa573b97d749dd2a0@news.povray.org>
"Grassblade" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> "Philipp" <pov### [at] phipracom> wrote:
> > Hi,

[...]

> I hate to say so, since one more Povver is obviously good in the greater
> scheme of things, ;-) but you don't need to use POV at all to do that.
> Simply calculate the angle from the object to the mirror, then determine
> where the sun should be in the sky. You may want to convert that to Right
> Ascension and Declension (or whatever they're called in English), just
> google it. Then look up ephemerides (for example
> http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/iau/MPEph/MPEph.html)

Thanks Grassblade, true, yes its basically a geometric problem.

But, the mirror has some dimensions, and also the "detector object" (the one
that waits for catching reflected sunlight) is not a point, but a larger
volume. All the objects are quite close to each other.
So, I thought, I would have to do a separate calculation at least for each
of the four extreme corner points of the mirror, each of these calculations
variated by a range of points within the detector object. (Or, think
thoroughly about which ones to leave away...)
All of that for all different sun positions.

So, I thought, I let POV do all these variations for me.

Does this make sence that way?

Regards,
Philipp