POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.binaries : Smooth Teddy + Moray? : Smooth Teddy + Moray? Server Time
16 Apr 2024 16:01:57 EDT (-0400)
  Smooth Teddy + Moray?
From: Shire
Date: 23 Feb 2006 22:45:01
Message: <web.43fe80ac9df4602287b0b58a0@news.povray.org>
Anybody ever play with this thing?
http://www-ui.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~takeo/java/smoothteddy/  This fellow,
Takeo Igarashi, is an associate professor in Tokyo who researches intuitive
interfaces for design. (I have absolutely no association with him, but
think he's nifty.)

The little java ap I linked to creates rounded organic models from sketches,
as a graphic artist, I delight in it.  I modeled a humpback whale and
painted it in  just under eight minutes (time includes painful restart of
unstable application.)   http://www.skidmore.edu/~c_woodma/tharshebe.jpg

I used to use his older application, Teddy, export the choppy looking models
and then import them into Moray using (so long ago) I think it was Thomas
Baier's obj importer?  But Takeo's second version, smooth teddy, is oh so
sexy satin.

I hadn't seen mention of Takeo's work on this newsgroup in the past so I
thought I'd bring it up.  Really really useful publicly available tools
ought to stick together.  Takeo focuses on working for Carnigie Mellon's
Alice project with his Teddy programs, meaning Smooth teddy outputs to a
nearly useless *.asg file. The only converter I've seen is a link off of
Takeo's page, http://www.dadim.org/norbert/xsl/ and in the past has needed
a little tweaking before it works.

I understand nothing of formats and programming, I am lucky when my hello
world programs don't somehow produce an overflow error.  Would it be hard
to make an asg become a udo/mdl?

-Shire
gry### [at] gmailcom