POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ringworld re-re-revisited : Ringworld re-re-revisited Server Time
24 Apr 2024 01:38:34 EDT (-0400)
  Ringworld re-re-revisited
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 27 Oct 2005 04:45:01
Message: <web.4360929f30852916731f01d10@news.povray.org>
Just in case any of you were getting bored of ringworlds...

This is a substantial improvement on my previous effort. The ring is pretty
much the dimensions stated in the book (and elsewhere here) - 90 million
miles in radius (although it should be 95 I believe), with 20 shadow
squares orbiting 12 million miles from the sun. The sun is an area_light 1
million miles in diameter.

The atmospheric effects are of course the most difficult, and in this regard
I cheated somewhat - the haze is merely a ground fog, and the blue sky is a
semitransparent sky sphere about a million miles wide, i.e. between the
camera and the arch.

I think the landscape is of realistic dimensions, but sadly the clouds are
slightly exaggerated - they are 200 miles in the air, with the camera at an
altitude of 100 miles. The reason for this is that I couldn't place the
camera any lower without some kind of precision artifact creeping into the
lower half of the image (I'll post an example in a bit).

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'ringworld_1.jpg' (119 KB)

Preview of image 'ringworld_1.jpg'