POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : 3.5.11.7 CELLS : Re: 3.5.11.7 CELLS Server Time
24 Apr 2024 06:30:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3.5.11.7 CELLS
From: Kenneth
Date: 20 Oct 2005 23:30:01
Message: <web.43585f67d81db2d26a521a540@news.povray.org>
> ...And then the value can be used for a variety of purposes,
> including indexing into a
> color map....

Aha!  Vindicated at last!  ; - )

Actually, I'm getting a MUCH clearer picture of what's going on, from all
that's been posted here (and from another unrelated question I posted which
has come around to discussing this very topic.)

I see now that my "new definition of CELLS" was much too limited, addressing
one specific example only.

I've also "discovered" that the CELLS pattern can be used to create a very
good "granite" texture...to my eyes, actually more realistic than the
GRANITE pattern itself. Just by scaling it way down in size (with some
appropriate colors in a color_map) and applying some turbulence....which,
because of the abrupt nature of color changes intrinsic to the CELLS
pattern, creates jagged, distorted "squares." Makes a much "grainer"
crystal-flake-like granite, which I like.

Ken