POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : (seed) could use a better explanation : Re: (seed) could use a better explanation Server Time
24 Apr 2024 20:53:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: (seed) could use a better explanation
From: Kenneth
Date: 11 Oct 2005 02:50:01
Message: <web.434b5fe16c2f1bf914d4b080@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

>   The formula which modifies the seed value is just so incredibly ingenious
> that it will really go through all 2^32 possible values in a pseudorandom
> order before starting over.
>

>                                                           - Warp

BTW, I understand now why the complex technical workings of SEED would
probably be inappropriate for inclusion in the POV docs. That's a lot of
information, most (all?) of which would be needed to do it justice. I do
think, though, that a few of the general concepts could be touched on, if
only for general interest.

The RAND and SEED definitions still seem a bit ....obtuse?...in their
present form, at least to me.  But rather than whine and complain, I think
I'll try my own hand at coming up with some meatier explanations. If  I
manage to do so, I'll post them for vetting.

Thanks again!

Ken