POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : TesselSphere-1.3.0-beta release : Re: TesselSphere-1.3.0-beta release Server Time
20 Apr 2024 00:23:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: TesselSphere-1.3.0-beta release
From: Nicholas Shea
Date: 26 Sep 2005 09:55:01
Message: <web.4337fc5d111fc894d2a235120@news.povray.org>
"St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote:
> "Nicholas Shea" <nic### [at] tiscalicouk> wrote in message
> > "Nicholas Shea" <nic### [at] tiscalicouk> wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks for taking the time to report this Steve. Information like this is
> >> important to me.
> >
> > Steve, can you tell me where you installed the prefs folder called
> > "nicholassheaATtiscali.co.uk" on XP Home SP2 ?
>
>       Yes, it's the same as win98: C:WINDOWSApplication Data
>
>        BTW Nicholas, I'm having a little trouble trying to save a file. When
> I open the save to PovRay 3.6 box, there is already a highlighted line:
> "C:/Documents and Settings/sp/Desktop/TesselSphere-Win-1.3.0-beta/" in the
> filename field. If you delete this line, and then try to add your own
> filename, say, tess1, you can type the 't', but when you try to type the
> next letter 'e', it will add the same line again for every key-stroke, so
> you end up with something like this if you're not looking:
>
> "C:/Documents and
> Settings/sp/Desktop/TesselSphere-Win-1.3.0-beta/C:/Documents and
> Settings/sp/Desktop/TesselSphere-Win-1.3.0-beta/C:/Documents and
> Settings/sp/Desktop/TesselSphere-Win-1.3.0-beta/C:/Documents and
> Settings/sp/Desktop/TesselSphere-Win-1.3.0-beta/te"
>
>    If you just add your filename to the end of "C:/Documents and
> Settings/sp/Desktop/TesselSphere-Win-1.3.0-beta/tess1", then, when it's
> compiling all the vertices and lines co-ordinates etc., it will crash the
> program when it gets to "Making Cell edges unique[pass2]"  - but then the
> file is still saved, (incompletely? On checking, it does end in "#end").
>
>      ~Steve~

Hi Steve.

The FLTK file chooser widget can be little strange when first coming
from windows. If the text below is not immediately obvious, I have
taken some screen shots which you can download from here:

http:://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/oaktree/nshea/tesselsphere/download/filesave-pics.zip

filesave1.jpg
When saving a file, the current path (usually the TesselSphere app)
is already highlighted in the path field of the Save Dialogue.

filesave2.jpg
Click after the path and start typing the name of your file.

filesave3.jpg
As you type, the dialogue will try to auto-complete the file name if
it finds a match in the current directory.

filesave4.jpg
Keep typing until the filename is unique.

filesave5.jpg
You can click on the path-buttons to navigate the file system or...

filesave6.jpg
Add the path to the favourites for next time.

WARNING: There is no check for a file with the same name yet! I know this is
pretty awful. Make sure your file has a unique name or an existing file
with the same name will get over-written.

The saved INC file should end with the auto initialization macros.
They look like this:

// ------------------------------------------------------------------
//
// #include auto initialization
//
// ------------------------------------------------------------------
// including this file will auto initialize the Polyhedron data:
TS_Init_Vertces()
TS_Init_Vertces_Array()
TS_Init_Centrum_Vertices()
TS_Init_Centrum_Vertices_Array()
TS_Init_Apex_Vertices()
TS_Init_Apex_Vertices_Array()
TS_Init_Cell_Arrays()
TS_Init_Edges_Array()

A successful save should be reported in the log window. Eg:

<----------------------------------------------------->
Wrote file: C:/my-docs/dev/tesselsphere-mingw-1.3.0/tesselsphere/test.inc
   Vertices: 3366
   cells: 908
   unique edges: 3372

Make sure you are using the 1.3.0-beta.
There was a bug when saving files that was introduced in a previous version
but I thought I'd fixed it. If you can repeat the bug with 1.3.0-beta,
please let me know the details so I can try to replicate it. Thanks for
your time in reporting this.

It is great to get genuine feedback :) I sometimes wonder if my site is
really public at all!

Best wishes

N.Shea