POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : converting from openscad to povray Server Time
28 Apr 2024 00:27:01 EDT (-0400)
  converting from openscad to povray (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: aysays
Subject: converting from openscad to povray
Date: 12 Sep 2023 12:40:00
Message: <web.6500944293a586858c9458ec8c4c5f32@news.povray.org>
can someone please help with the instructions here:
https://github.com/archie305/openscad2povray

I can't seem to get it right :/

Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Re: converting from openscad to povray
Date: 12 Sep 2023 14:20:00
Message: <web.6500abac1b8a029a1f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"aysays" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> can someone please help with the instructions here:
> https://github.com/archie305/openscad2povray
>
> I can't seem to get it right :/

I have written scripts in both POV-Ray and OpenSCAD, and I can tell by looking
at the output of that github repository, that you'd be far better off learning
to make the minor modifications to an existing OpenSCAD script in order to
convert it to a POV-Ray SDL scene.

The languages are nearly identical, the SDL scene that you write will be
shorter, more understandable, will parse and render faster, and will look better
and be more useful.

Now, having said that, since you're using a 9-year-old conversion utility, it
might be worth looking into what version it was designed to work with.  I'd
guess it was 3.6.

Also  - what aren't you getting right?
Does it run?
Do you get a POV-Ray SDL scene as output?
If you're running that in POV-Ray, what version are you using, and what errors
are you seeing?

- BW