POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Installing CLI interface Server Time: 17 Jan 2019 02:25:07 GMT
  Installing CLI interface (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: binki
Subject: Installing CLI interface
Date: 2 Feb 2017 06:10:01
Message: <web.5892ccb8f457d4dad9c9eda60@news.povray.org>
How do I install the povray.exe CLI interface on Windows? I find the GUI
annoying. I want to be able to run the same scripts that I do on unix on my
Windows system, but I find pvengine with a bunch of hard to use parameters like
/EXIT and /RENDER. Also, the Windows GUI likes to make noise, etc.

I am currently working around this by using the Windows 10 Subsystem for Linux
feature to install the Ubuntu POV-Ray binaries. But this is bulky because I have
to invoke the Ubuntu version of the povray CLI through an Ubuntu shell or
indirectly via bash -c "povray". When can I look forward to the
Download page’s Windows installer providing a native povray.exe which behaves
like the povray CLI for unix?

Post a reply to this message

> How do I install the povray.exe CLI interface on Windows? I find the GUI
> annoying. I want to be able to run the same scripts that I do on unix on my
> Windows system, but I find pvengine with a bunch of hard to use parameters like
> /EXIT and /RENDER. Also, the Windows GUI likes to make noise, etc.
>
> I am currently working around this by using the Windows 10 Subsystem for Linux
> feature to install the Ubuntu POV-Ray binaries. But this is bulky because I have
> to invoke the Ubuntu version of the povray CLI through an Ubuntu shell or
> indirectly via bash -c "povray". When can I look forward to the
> Download page’s Windows installer providing a native povray.exe which behaves
> like the povray CLI for unix?

I have a build of povray3.7.1-alpha built. It's a wee bit old, but not
too much...  http://www.buckosoft.com/povclipse2/povray/
The only issue with it is I have to say +wt8 on the CL to use all 8
threads on my box.
It's just the .exe, you still need a povray distribution first.

--
dik