POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Running PovRay on a webserver Server Time: 17 Jan 2019 03:29:25 GMT
  Running PovRay on a webserver (Message 1 to 4 of 4)  
From: DampfHans
Subject: Running PovRay on a webserver
Date: 3 May 2014 21:05:01
Message: <web.53655977fce72a0c5d5b21b0@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I tried to run PovRay 3.7 on a webserver (Win. 2008 Server), starting it with
the PHP exec-command.

Instead of calculating the image the exec-command hangs. I think, the problem
is, that PovRay tries to open a window which must fail on a webserver.

Am I right? And is there any way to prevent this problem? What is the situation
on a linux-server?

Thanks in progress!


Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Subject: Re: Running PovRay on a webserver
Date: 3 May 2014 21:16:21
Message: <53655ca5$1@news.povray.org>
Le 03/05/2014 23:02, DampfHans nous fit lire :
> Hi,
> 
> I tried to run PovRay 3.7 on a webserver (Win. 2008 Server), starting it with
> the PHP exec-command.
> 
> Instead of calculating the image the exec-command hangs. I think, the problem
> is, that PovRay tries to open a window which must fail on a webserver.
> 
> Am I right? And is there any way to prevent this problem? What is the situation
> on a linux-server?
> 

On a unix system, you can use the -D option to not open the preview.

> Thanks in progress!
> 
> 
If you ever succeed, your process will be killed by the php-timeout.


Post a reply to this message

From: DampfHans
Subject: Re: Running PovRay on a webserver
Date: 4 May 2014 08:10:01
Message: <web.5365f4a1b65baabc814311dc0@news.povray.org>
Thanks for your fast answer. Though the process-killing timeout would not be a
problem -povray has the /EXIT-Option- it's still impossible to run povray on a
windows(!)-webserver.
In the meantime I found out, that windows server stops a service-started
process, that wants to open a window by depriving all CPU-time (so the process
remains as a zombie).
Since povray for windows opens its window unconditionally it's a candidate for
this problem.
For those, who plan to run povray on a windows-webserver: As long, as povray has
no real (silent) batchmode it's impossible!
Fore those, who are interested in the background:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn653293%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
..

Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:
> Le 03/05/2014 23:02, DampfHans nous fit lire :
> > Hi,
> >
> > I tried to run PovRay 3.7 on a webserver (Win. 2008 Server), starting it with
> > the PHP exec-command.
> >
> > Instead of calculating the image the exec-command hangs. I think, the problem
> > is, that PovRay tries to open a window which must fail on a webserver.
> >
> > Am I right? And is there any way to prevent this problem? What is the situation
> > on a linux-server?
> >
>
> On a unix system, you can use the -D option to not open the preview.
>
> > Thanks in progress!
> >
> >
> If you ever succeed, your process will be killed by the php-timeout.


Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Subject: Re: Running PovRay on a webserver
Date: 4 May 2014 09:18:54
Message: <536605fe$1@news.povray.org>
Le 04/05/2014 10:04, DampfHans nous fit lire :
> Thanks for your fast answer. Though the process-killing timeout would not be a
> problem -povray has the /EXIT-Option- it's still impossible to run povray on a
> windows(!)-webserver.

I was thinking about the run-time: if the rendering lasts too long.

> In the meantime I found out, that windows server stops a service-started
> process, that wants to open a window by depriving all CPU-time (so the process
> remains as a zombie).
> Since povray for windows opens its window unconditionally it's a candidate for
> this problem.
> For those, who plan to run povray on a windows-webserver: As long, as povray has
> no real (silent) batchmode it's impossible!

With the official binary, yes.
You might make a "DOS-like" home-made binary from the unix source.


Post a reply to this message

Copyright 2003-2008 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.