POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Another reason to hate Windows 7 Server Time
19 Apr 2024 15:45:39 EDT (-0400)
  Another reason to hate Windows 7 (Message 21 to 30 of 42)
From: MichaelJF
Subject: Re: Another reason to hate Windows 7
Date: 29 Jan 2013 15:30:01
Message: <web.5108304711feb23bd2f8d970@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> MichaelJF <mi-### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:
> > I'm certainly no expert at this. But POV leaves a state file when interrupted
> > otherwise an image. So it should not be impossible. But with a multicore machine
> > the continue option works only if all threads have left no "whole" in the
> > picture. That means if a block is not finished but an other which is later in
> > the sequence the blocks are worked through from another thread is (may be the
> > first contains some glass the second not, so the later thread is ready before
> > the first) than "continue" continues behind the later thread overlooking the
> > "whole" from the first unfinished thread. So if you have to interrupt a
> > rendering since you need your machine for other purposes, you have to be lucky
> > to can use the +c. IMO this issue is more important then the occasional updates
> > or the sleeps, which can be avoided easily with the update options or the energy
> > options Stephen pointed out.
>
> Are you saying that +C doesn't currently work, or are you just guessing?
>
> I wasn't talking about the +C option per se. I was just talking about a
> possible convenience feature in winpov that would suggest the user to
> continue the render if povray was closed the last time while it was
> rendering.
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp

No, I'm not guessing, this is an observation. We had a discussion about this
issue some months ago and Thomas de Groot observed the same. Look at

http://news.povray.org/povray.beta-test/thread/%3Cweb.5033e17517f31266b62e53d00@news.povray.org%3E/

Best regards,
Michael

Post a reply to this message

From: MichaelJF
Date: 29 Jan 2013 15:40:01
Message: <web.510832a611feb23bd2f8d970@news.povray.org>
Seems the link vanished. Hope it can be seen now:

http://news.povray.org/povray.beta-test/thread/%3Cweb.5033e17517f31266b62e53d00@news.povray.org%3E/

Post a reply to this message

"MichaelJF" <mi-### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:
> Seems the link vanished. Hope it can be seen now:

"http://news.povray.org/povray.beta-test/thread/%3Cweb.5033e17517f31266b62e53d00@news.povray.org%3E/"

Post a reply to this message

"MichaelJF" <mi-### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:
> "MichaelJF" <mi-### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:
> > Seems the link vanished. Hope it can be seen now:

"http://news.povray.org/povray.beta-test/thread/%3Cweb.5033e17517f31266b62e53d00@news.povray.org%3E/"

Very mysterious, first time a link to the POV-newsgroups doesn't work. It was at
povray.beta-test, "Resuming renders in 3.7 RC6 is confusing at best, broken at
worst" by Chaanakya at 21 Aug 2012 19:30:00.

Best regards,
Michael

Post a reply to this message

> "MichaelJF" <mi-### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:
>> "MichaelJF" <mi-### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:
>>> Seems the link vanished. Hope it can be seen now:

"http://news.povray.org/povray.beta-test/thread/%3Cweb.5033e17517f31266b62e53d00@news.povray.org%3E/"

> Very mysterious, first time a link to the POV-newsgroups doesn't work. It was at
> povray.beta-test, "Resuming renders in 3.7 RC6 is confusing at best, broken at
> worst" by Chaanakya at 21 Aug 2012 19:30:00.

The very first link worked perfectly fine for me (I haven't tested the
others).

Did anyone ever file a bug report on this issue?

Post a reply to this message

>> Very mysterious, first time a link to the POV-newsgroups doesn't work. It was at
>> povray.beta-test, "Resuming renders in 3.7 RC6 is confusing at best, broken at
>> worst" by Chaanakya at 21 Aug 2012 19:30:00.
>
> The very first link worked perfectly fine for me (I haven't tested the
> others).
>
> Did anyone ever file a bug report on this issue?

I don't recall seeing one. It's definitely something we need to look
at as I can't see us releasing 3.7 if it's faulty.

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message