POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : first time trying pov-ray using tutorial.. error message? Server Time
29 Mar 2024 10:28:14 EDT (-0400)
  first time trying pov-ray using tutorial.. error message? (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Marina
Subject: first time trying pov-ray using tutorial.. error message?
Date: 25 Jun 2011 03:25:01
Message: <web.4e058c3645467f10e088a3220@news.povray.org>
I just discovered the existence of POV-Ray. I found an online tutorial
(http://library.thinkquest.org/3285/) and typed in the source code for a simple
red ball exactly as they had it:

camera {
  location <2,5,-10>
  look_at <0,0,0>
}

light_source {
  <0,-10,0>
  color rgb <1,1,1>
}

sphere {
  <0,0,0>, 5
  pigment { color rgb <1,0,0> }
}

But when I click "Run," a little box pops up that says "Parse Error." What does
'parse' mean and why won't it render the image? I even copy and pasted the above
source code and still nothing.

Anyone mind helping a first-timer?
Thanks!

Post a reply to this message

> I just discovered the existence of POV-Ray. I found an online tutorial
> (http://library.thinkquest.org/3285/) and typed in the source code for a simple
> red ball exactly as they had it:
>
> camera {
>    location<2,5,-10>
>    look_at<0,0,0>
> }
>
> light_source {
>    <0,-10,0>
>    color rgb<1,1,1>
> }
>
> sphere {
>    <0,0,0>, 5
>    pigment { color rgb<1,0,0>  }
> }
>

> But when I click "Run," a little box pops up that says "Parse Error." What does
> 'parse' mean and why won't it render the image? I even copy and pasted the above
> source code and still nothing.
 >
> Anyone mind helping a first-timer?

Sure, for the meaning of "parse", see <http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/parse>
and <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parsing>. Basically, the error message
says that POV-Ray cannot make sense of your input.

Now, it also says more than just "Parse Error", it also tells you want it
cannot make sense of following the "Parse Error" text in the message window.
What does it say there? - Most likely it is a sentence that contains a
"cannot" or "expected [...] found instead".

	Thorsten

PS: Note that POV-Ray includes a tutorial. Go to the Help menu for the full
documentation of POV-Ray, both reference and tutorial.

Post a reply to this message

> I just discovered the existence of POV-Ray. I found an online tutorial
> (http://library.thinkquest.org/3285/) and typed in the source code for a simple
> red ball exactly as they had it:
>
> camera {
>    location <2,5,-10>
>    look_at <0,0,0>
> }
>
> light_source {
>    <0,-10,0>
>    color rgb <1,1,1>
> }
>
> sphere {
>    <0,0,0>, 5
>    pigment { color rgb <1,0,0>  }
> }
>

> But when I click "Run," a little box pops up that says "Parse Error." What does
> 'parse' mean and why won't it render the image? I even copy and pasted the above
> source code and still nothing.

In layman's terms, "parsing" is the process of a program (in this case
POV-Ray) analyzing the source code, trying to figure out what you want
the program to do; consequently, "parse error" means that there's some
problem that causes the program to not understand the source code (or
some part thereof).

I don't see any problems with the above code though - except that the
ball is a very dark red and therefore barely visible. It renders with
both POV-Ray 3.62 (which is the latest release declared officially
stable) and POV-Ray 3.7RC3 (which is the latest release candidate for
version 3.70).

BTW, which version are you using?

Could it be possible that you made a typo in the code you fed to
POV-Ray, while posting excactly as shown on thinkquest.org?

Post a reply to this message