POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Install for multiple users Server Time
28 Mar 2024 14:25:59 EDT (-0400)
  Install for multiple users (Message 11 to 12 of 12)
From: Chris Cason
Subject: Re: Install for multiple users
Date: 17 Jul 2012 18:57:19
Message: <5005edcf$1@news.povray.org>
Institutional use of POV-Ray is something we care about and wish to
support as best we can. In fact it's one of the primary reasons I
persisted using InstallShield as long as I did, since MSI's can
support the multi-user from one install concept (as well as deployment
via group policy for example).

Ultimately the struggle with IS's licensing policies became too much
hassle and I have ceased to use it, moving to NSIS.

It is possible for POV-Ray to do certain things internally; e.g. there
is already support for creating registry settings automatically based
on inferred install location. This doesn't copy files, but it is
possible that if I made a sub-installer that just contained the
scenes/includes etc that it could be fired up by the main EXE in cases
like these.

I'll think about it and see if I can come up with a solution for this
sort of use. It probably wouldn't be difficult.

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

> I'll think about it and see if I can come up with a solution for this
> sort of use. It probably wouldn't be difficult.

FWIW, here seems to be some NSIS source code to register an
active setup for per-user installs:

http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Create_settings_per-user_based_on_same_workstation

Of course, you still need a binary that copies the actual files.