POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : v3.6.2 installs two identical(?) sets of files? Server Time
29 Mar 2024 09:21:19 EDT (-0400)
  v3.6.2 installs two identical(?) sets of files? (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Kenneth
Subject: v3.6.2 installs two identical(?) sets of files?
Date: 31 Dec 2010 01:10:08
Message: <web.4d1d706e7fb1a029196b08580@news.povray.org>
So I finally downloaded v3.6.2 for Windows (32-bit), changed the Library_Paths
in the new povray.ini file to find all my scenes and such, and it's now up and
working beautifully. I'm happy!

But to get to that point took some work--because the installer installs *two*
sets of what look like identical folders into the default MY DOCUMENTS/POV-RAY
file folder. (In more detail: two sets of INCLUDE, INI, INSERT MENU and SCENES
folders, one set directly inside the POV-RAY folder, the other set inside a
sub-folder named "3.6".) Upon first seeing all of that, it's not immediately
apparent *which* set is the proper one to use (i.e., which set is the one that
Pov-Ray 3.6.2 wants to work with.) Specifically, it's not clear which of the two
povray.ini files is the correct one to edit with new Library_Paths. It took me a
fair amount of experimenting and mistakes to finally choose the "3.6" folder and
its contents as the 'useful' one. (Editing the *other* povray.ini file had no
effect--unless I did something really stupid during the whole process.) As the
install comes with no 'installation manual' or notes about this, the process can
be confusing.

But like I said, it's all working nicely now. So at this point I'm just curious:
Why *are* two sets of folders installed?

(BTW, on the Pov-Ray.org download page, under "what's New", it mentions this:
"The [3.6.2] install contains a changelist covering what has been modified since
version 3.6.0." That seems to be missing--I don't see it anywhere in the
installed folders.)

Ken

Post a reply to this message

> So I finally downloaded v3.6.2 for Windows (32-bit), changed the Library_Paths
> in the new povray.ini file to find all my scenes and such, and it's now up and
> working beautifully. I'm happy!
>
> But to get to that point took some work--because the installer installs *two*
> sets of what look like identical folders into the default MY DOCUMENTS/POV-RAY
> file folder. (In more detail: two sets of INCLUDE, INI, INSERT MENU and SCENES
> folders, one set directly inside the POV-RAY folder, the other set inside a
> sub-folder named "3.6".) Upon first seeing all of that, it's not immediately
> apparent *which* set is the proper one to use (i.e., which set is the one that
> Pov-Ray 3.6.2 wants to work with.) Specifically, it's not clear which of the two
> povray.ini files is the correct one to edit with new Library_Paths. It took me a
> fair amount of experimenting and mistakes to finally choose the "3.6" folder and
> its contents as the 'useful' one. (Editing the *other* povray.ini file had no
> effect--unless I did something really stupid during the whole process.) As the
> install comes with no 'installation manual' or notes about this, the process can
> be confusing.
>
> But like I said, it's all working nicely now. So at this point I'm just curious:
> Why *are* two sets of folders installed?
>
> (BTW, on the Pov-Ray.org download page, under "what's New", it mentions this:
> "The [3.6.2] install contains a changelist covering what has been modified since
> version 3.6.0." That seems to be missing--I don't see it anywhere in the
> installed folders.)
>
> Ken

In just a few days, will be the official launch of POV-Ray 3.7.
It will have some nice improvements, starting with multi processor
support :)

Alain