POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : More Vista problems Server Time
18 Apr 2024 05:07:52 EDT (-0400)
  More Vista problems (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Jos leys
Subject: More Vista problems
Date: 5 May 2009 09:55:00
Message: <web.4a00443cd6da9bd2ed17950a0@news.povray.org>
Just started using Povray 3.6 on my new laptop..

I render a still image and upon completion, the system hangs.
Message Window says "Povray finished", but the status bar says e.g. "rendering
line 470 of 600", and the program becomes unresponsive: I can only go into
Taskmanager and halt it. The rendered image is written, and available.
Nothing special about the scene file: it happens with all my scene files every
time..

I have Povray installed outside of Program Files, and I have pvengine.exe run in
XP mode, with Visual Themes turned off.

Any ideas?

Post a reply to this message

Delayed response, sorry, but have you tried Run as Administrator yet?

Wish I could remember the tricks to fixing POV-Ray in Vista, I've been using
Windows 7 (Beta and now RC) awhile now and haven't gone back to Vista
(unless I must). Seems you have already done the right things. Not
installing an older version of 3.6...?

Bob

"Jos leys" <jos### [at] pandorabe> wrote in message

> I render a still image and upon completion, the system hangs.
> Message Window says "Povray finished", but the status bar says e.g.
> "rendering
> line 470 of 600", and the program becomes unresponsive: I can only go into
> Taskmanager and halt it. The rendered image is written, and available.
> Nothing special about the scene file: it happens with all my scene files
> every
> time..
>
> I have Povray installed outside of Program Files, and I have pvengine.exe
> run in
> XP mode, with Visual Themes turned off.

Post a reply to this message

Contrary to the advice I got, I do NOT run Povray in XP mode, but I do uncheck
the 'Visual Themes', and then everything works normally, including animations
from INI files.

"BobH" <omniverse*charter!net> wrote:
> Delayed response, sorry, but have you tried Run as Administrator yet?
>
> Wish I could remember the tricks to fixing POV-Ray in Vista, I've been using
> Windows 7 (Beta and now RC) awhile now and haven't gone back to Vista
> (unless I must). Seems you have already done the right things. Not
> installing an older version of 3.6...?
>
> Bob

Post a reply to this message

"BobH" <omniverse*charter!net> schreef in bericht
> Wish I could remember the tricks to fixing POV-Ray in Vista, I've been
> using Windows 7 (Beta and now RC) awhile now and haven't gone back to
> Vista (unless I must). Seems you have already done the right things. Not
> installing an older version of 3.6...?

Sheer curiosity: How is POV behaving under Windows7?

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: BobH
Subject: Re: More Vista problems (delayed reply)
Date: 26 May 2009 00:12:37
Message: <4a1b6c35$1@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet> wrote in message

> "BobH" <omniverse*charter!net> schreef in bericht
>> using Windows 7 (Beta and now RC) awhile now and haven't gone back to
>> Vista (unless I must).
>>
> Sheer curiosity: How is POV behaving under Windows7?

Sorry Thomas, hadn't seen you ask this until just now. Been going through so
many other messages a little at a time.

Overall Windows 7's main positive side is quick start-up from off. Being on
a notebook here that's a major advantage over earlier Windows'. Another plus
is the ease of installing/running programs compared to Vista default
behavior of prompting for permission. That still exists to some degree but
it isn't so annoying now.

That said, I haven't timed renders to see if there's a change but it just
seems better.
POV 3.6 and 3.7 do well, without needing to make adjustments to Windows
itself, only the usual POV option for file write permission into a non-POV
location.
P-R 3.7 beta is actually the best since it installs with user files placed
in a documents\pov-ray subfolder, as you might already know. I'm hoping
Chris can make this happen for the redone version 3.6(.2).
Anyway, no problems encountered running POV under W7.

Bob

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 24 Jun 2009 04:02:17
Message: <4a41dd89@news.povray.org>
> "Thomas de Groot" <tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet> wrote in message
>>
>> "BobH" <omniverse*charter!net> schreef in bericht
>>> using Windows 7 (Beta and now RC) awhile now and haven't gone back to
>>> Vista (unless I must).
>>>
>> Sheer curiosity: How is POV behaving under Windows7?
>
> Sorry Thomas, hadn't seen you ask this until just now. Been going through
> so many other messages a little at a time.

That's ok Bob. I almost forgot my question in the meantime :-)

Good to hear about W7. I hope my XP machine will hold out till W7 is
officially launched. I would prefer now to bypass Vista.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 25 Jun 2009 20:58:29
Message: <4a441d35@news.povray.org>

> "BobH" <omniverse*charter!net> schreef in bericht
>> "Thomas de Groot" <tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet> wrote in message
>>> "BobH" <omniverse*charter!net> schreef in bericht
>>>>
>>> Sheer curiosity: How is POV behaving under Windows7?
>> Sorry Thomas, hadn't seen you ask this until just now. Been going through
>> so many other messages a little at a time.
>>

> That's ok Bob. I almost forgot my question in the meantime :-)
>
> Good to hear about W7. I hope my XP machine will hold out till W7 is
> officially launched. I would prefer now to bypass Vista.
>
> Thomas

W7 is due out around October this year. It's on presales now.
Also, your XP machine can probably run W7, even if it can't run Vista.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 3 Jul 2009 03:08:43
Message: <4a4dae7b@news.povray.org>
"Alain" <aze### [at] qwertyorg> schreef in bericht
> W7 is due out around October this year. It's on presales now.
> Also, your XP machine can probably run W7, even if it can't run Vista.

In any case, I want to continue with XP as long as possible, i.e. as long as
my PC holds out (which should be for a couple of years more) or as long as I
am not fed up with it :-)

Thomas