POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Vista problems Server Time
28 Mar 2024 01:58:38 EDT (-0400)
  Vista problems (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Jos leys
Subject: Vista problems
Date: 5 May 2009 05:15:00
Message: <web.4a000269cdab0beeed17950a0@news.povray.org>
Just got a new laptop with Vista.
I do a lot of animations, and found out quickly that Povray freezes if it is
asked to do a series of images from an INI file.
Found the solutions: install Povray outside of Program Files, and have
pvengine.exe run in XP mode.

Povray now will render series of images, but the annoying thing is that if I
stop the render ( with the Stop button in the taskbar), Povray freezes over and
I have to go into the Taskmanager to stop it, and then restart the program.
As I start and stop renders all the time during the development of an animation,
this is of course unworkable.

Anyone know a solution?

Post a reply to this message

> I do a lot of animations, and found out quickly that Povray freezes if it is
> asked to do a series of images from an INI file.
> Found the solutions: install Povray outside of Program Files, and have
> pvengine.exe run in XP mode.
>
> Povray now will render series of images, but the annoying thing is that if I
> stop the render ( with the Stop button in the taskbar), Povray freezes over and
> I have to go into the Taskmanager to stop it, and then restart the program.
> As I start and stop renders all the time during the development of an animation,
> this is of course unworkable.
>
> Anyone know a solution?

I'll prioritise getting a Vista-compatible Windows build out. Now I'm running
Vista I have no excuse anymore ... :(

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

> I do a lot of animations, and found out quickly that Povray freezes if it is
> asked to do a series of images from an INI file.
> Found the solutions: install Povray outside of Program Files, and have
> pvengine.exe run in XP mode.
>
> Povray now will render series of images, but the annoying thing is that if I
> stop the render ( with the Stop button in the taskbar), Povray freezes over and
> I have to go into the Taskmanager to stop it, and then restart the program.
> As I start and stop renders all the time during the development of an animation,
> this is of course unworkable.
>
> Anyone know a solution?

FYI I have now fixed the bug causing the above deadlock and have written a
new Vista-compatible installer. All things going well I'll have a new
Windows release out within a week.

-- Chris