POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : INI on Vista Server Time
28 Mar 2024 11:03:37 EDT (-0400)
  INI on Vista (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Wes VS
Subject: INI on Vista
Date: 17 Aug 2008 15:30:00
Message: <web.48a87c14b1bdee60740ec2a20@news.povray.org>
I have a problem.  I created an INI file that has worked before in creating an
animation, now when I try to render a series of images for an animation the
program freezes.  I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling POV, and it still
does not work.  I can although, create single still images.

Post a reply to this message

>I have a problem.  I created an INI file that has worked before in creating an
>animation, now when I try to render a series of images for an animation the
>program freezes.  I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling POV, and it still
>does not work.  I can although, create single still images.

Does the Pov file create an image without using the ini file? Did you install
PovRay into the Program Files directory? Do other animations work? Maybe you
could post your ini file to give a clue to the problem.
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Wes VS
Date: 17 Aug 2008 19:30:00
Message: <web.48a8b36fd20ca0ef740ec2a20@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mcavoysAT@aolDOTcom> wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 15:29:24 EDT, "Wes.VS" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>
> >I have a problem.  I created an INI file that has worked before in creating an
> >animation, now when I try to render a series of images for an animation the
> >program freezes.  I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling POV, and it still
> >does not work.  I can although, create single still images.
> >

> Does the Pov file create an image without using the ini file? Did you install
> PovRay into the Program Files directory? Do other animations work? Maybe you
> could post your ini file to give a clue to the problem.
> --
>
> Regards
>      Stephen

POV does render still images, but only the images that are using the default
render settings on the program.  I did install POV into the Program files
directory on the computer.  I do not know where to post my INI file.  If you
could tell me where to post it I would be very happy to do so.

I have used this exact INI in the past, it just stopped working recently.  I
have even tried to use it on very simple animations, but it still does not
work.

Thank You,
Wes Van Der Schaaf

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 18 Aug 2008 03:44:28
Message: <52aia4tnkn1ekpir8opgeqgqsuemo2n5se@4ax.com>
On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 19:26:55 EDT, "Wes.VS" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

>POV does render still images, but only the images that are using the default
>render settings on the program.  I did install POV into the Program files
>directory on the computer.  I do not know where to post my INI file.  If you
>could tell me where to post it I would be very happy to do so.
>
>I have used this exact INI in the past, it just stopped working recently.  I
>have even tried to use it on very simple animations, but it still does not
>work.
>
>Thank You,
>Wes Van Der Schaaf

Hi Wes, Vista has problems with ini files in the Program files directory so try
reinstalling PovRay into another directory. I use "C:\Graphics\POV-Ray for
Windows v3.6".  You could try creating another INI file and try that in case
your original one has been corrupted and you could post it here since it
probably wont be too large.
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 18 Aug 2008 11:38:51
Message: <48a9978b$1@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:
> Hi Wes, Vista has problems with ini files in the Program files directory

Wouldn't it be better to fix this in the 3.7 beta rather than do the
Wrong Thing during installation?  I haven't looked at the source, but it
would seem that putting the .ini files in the user-specific directories
(i.e., under My Documents) would be easier than telling every user of
Vista and POV-Ray how to get around this sort of problem.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)

Post a reply to this message

From: Chris Cason
Date: 21 Aug 2008 02:18:13
Message: <48ad08a5$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Wouldn't it be better to fix this in the 3.7 beta rather than do the
> Wrong Thing during installation?  I haven't looked at the source, but it
> would seem that putting the .ini files in the user-specific directories
> (i.e., under My Documents) would be easier than telling every user of
> Vista and POV-Ray how to get around this sort of problem.

It is already fixed in 3.7 beta.

-- Chris