POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : How to run pvengine on background? or Where is povray.exe? Server Time
19 Apr 2024 09:04:39 EDT (-0400)
  How to run pvengine on background? or Where is povray.exe? (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Can
Subject: How to run pvengine on background? or Where is povray.exe?
Date: 11 Aug 2008 10:10:00
Message: <web.48a04729aa70066a1f9fd8c60@news.povray.org>
Hi;
I have an executable file which takes some arguments, create a .pov file, render
it and then save it as bmp. I'm calling this executable file from another code
written in csharp. I want the povray program not to be seen when the code calls
it, just run on the background.

In my executable file's source code, the command "povray" was used. After i
installed povray, i saw the program has not "povray.exe" but "pvengine.exe". I
changed povrays into pvengines, then compiled again I could be able to run it,
but i had the problem.

What can i do? Can i find the povray.exe file? Can it solve my problem?

p.s. : The executable file is too old, so the version of povray.exe file is not
important.

Post a reply to this message

Can nous illumina en ce 2008-08-11 10:07 -->
> Hi;
> I have an executable file which takes some arguments, create a .pov file, render
> it and then save it as bmp. I'm calling this executable file from another code
> written in csharp. I want the povray program not to be seen when the code calls
> it, just run on the background.
>
> In my executable file's source code, the command "povray" was used. After i
> installed povray, i saw the program has not "povray.exe" but "pvengine.exe". I
> changed povrays into pvengines, then compiled again I could be able to run it,
> but i had the problem.
>
> What can i do? Can i find the povray.exe file? Can it solve my problem?
>
> p.s. : The executable file is too old, so the version of povray.exe file is not
> important.

Start POV-Ray minimised, and set to only run one instance, and don't terminate
it after the first render. You don't need to save the image yourself as POV-Ray
does it itself. Unless you set it otherwize, the output format under Windows
default to BMP.
You may first start POV-Ray, dismiss the splash, minimize it, then start your
application.

Go to Options|Keep Single Instance and make sure it's checked.

--
Alain
HAMMER:  Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as

Post a reply to this message

From: Can
Date: 12 Aug 2008 03:15:00
Message: <web.48a137f47e82ff3b1f9fd8c60@news.povray.org>
Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> Can nous illumina en ce 2008-08-11 10:07 -->
> > Hi;
> > I have an executable file which takes some arguments, create a .pov file, render
> > it and then save it as bmp. I'm calling this executable file from another code
> > written in csharp. I want the povray program not to be seen when the code calls
> > it, just run on the background.
> >
> > In my executable file's source code, the command "povray" was used. After i
> > installed povray, i saw the program has not "povray.exe" but "pvengine.exe". I
> > changed povrays into pvengines, then compiled again I could be able to run it,
> > but i had the problem.
> >
> > What can i do? Can i find the povray.exe file? Can it solve my problem?
> >
> > p.s. : The executable file is too old, so the version of povray.exe file is not
> > important.
> >

> Start POV-Ray minimised, and set to only run one instance, and don't terminate
> it after the first render. You don't need to save the image yourself as POV-Ray
> does it itself. Unless you set it otherwize, the output format under Windows
> default to BMP.
> You may first start POV-Ray, dismiss the splash, minimize it, then start your
> application.
>
> Go to Options|Keep Single Instance and make sure it's checked.
>
> --
> Alain
> HAMMER:  Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as
> a kind of divining rod to locate expensive bike parts not far from the object we
> are trying to hit.

Thank you very much Alain. Your solution is artful, but actually it doesn't
block the running of GUI of Povray, just hides it.

I solved it in another way.

I installed cygwin. Then i downloaded unix source file of POV-Ray and compiled
it by cygwin. It created the povray.exe which has not any GUI. Then i found two
required dll file on Internet: cygwin1.dll and cygz.dll. I copied them into the
same folder with the povray.exe. So the povray.exe now works on Windows XP
without any GUI.

I seems a bit complicated but completely solves the problem. It doesn't require
advanced Unix knowledge because read_me file of the source code shows the Unix
codes required for installing POVRAY.

Post a reply to this message

From: Luigi Fonti
Date: 16 Jan 2009 10:15:00
Message: <web.4970a3cd7e82ff3b16fff8b30@news.povray.org>
"Can" <can### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> > Can nous illumina en ce 2008-08-11 10:07 -->
> > > Hi;
> > > I have an executable file which takes some arguments, create a .pov file, render
> > > it and then save it as bmp. I'm calling this executable file from another code
> > > written in csharp. I want the povray program not to be seen when the code calls
> > > it, just run on the background.
> > >
> > > In my executable file's source code, the command "povray" was used. After i
> > > installed povray, i saw the program has not "povray.exe" but "pvengine.exe". I
> > > changed povrays into pvengines, then compiled again I could be able to run it,
> > > but i had the problem.
> > >
> > > What can i do? Can i find the povray.exe file? Can it solve my problem?
> > >
> > > p.s. : The executable file is too old, so the version of povray.exe file is not
> > > important.
> > >

> > Start POV-Ray minimised, and set to only run one instance, and don't terminate

> > it after the first render. You don't need to save the image yourself as POV-Ray
> > does it itself. Unless you set it otherwize, the output format under Windows
> > default to BMP.
> > You may first start POV-Ray, dismiss the splash, minimize it, then start your
> > application.
> >
> > Go to Options|Keep Single Instance and make sure it's checked.
> >
> > --
> > Alain
> > HAMMER:  Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as
> > a kind of divining rod to locate expensive bike parts not far from the object we
> > are trying to hit.
>

> Thank you very much Alain. Your solution is artful, but actually it doesn't
> block the running of GUI of Povray, just hides it.
>
> I solved it in another way.
>
> I installed cygwin. Then i downloaded unix source file of POV-Ray and compiled
> it by cygwin. It created the povray.exe which has not any GUI. Then i found two
> required dll file on Internet: cygwin1.dll and cygz.dll. I copied them into the
> same folder with the povray.exe. So the povray.exe now works on Windows XP
> without any GUI.
>
> I seems a bit complicated but completely solves the problem. It doesn't require
> advanced Unix knowledge because read_me file of the source code shows the Unix
> codes required for installing POVRAY.

Hello, Can.
I would greatly appreciate if you could send to me povray.exe as an attachment
to an email.
This way I would save a lot of work, and I don't need to install cygwin,
compile,...
My email address is: lui### [at] gmailcom
Thanks in advance
Luigi

Post a reply to this message

From: projetmbc
Date: 21 Apr 2009 11:15:01
Message: <web.49ede2097e82ff3be23a9cd0@news.povray.org>
> > I installed cygwin. Then i downloaded unix source file of POV-Ray and compiled
> > it by cygwin. It created the povray.exe which has not any GUI. Then i found two
> > required dll file on Internet: cygwin1.dll and cygz.dll. I copied them into the
> > same folder with the povray.exe. So the povray.exe now works on Windows XP
> > without any GUI.
Can you say how you have compiled the source ?

Post a reply to this message

From: projetmbc
Date: 21 Apr 2009 12:30:01
Message: <web.49edf3637e82ff3be23a9cd0@news.povray.org>
Indeed I would like to know what are the necessary librairies to install such as
the compilation works.

Best regards.
Christophe.

Post a reply to this message

From: projetmbc
Date: 21 Apr 2009 12:40:00
Message: <web.49edf68a7e82ff3be23a9cd0@news.povray.org>
What are the libraries needed to compile POV-Ray ?

Best regards.
Christophe.

Post a reply to this message

From: projetmbc
Date: 21 Apr 2009 14:00:01
Message: <web.49ee09637e82ff3be23a9cd0@news.povray.org>
Finally, everything is ok.

Post a reply to this message

From: projetmbc
Date: 21 Apr 2009 16:55:01
Message: <web.49ee31ba7e82ff3be23a9cd0@news.povray.org>
"projetmbc" <pro### [at] clubfr> wrote:
> What are the libraries needed to compile POV-Ray ?
>
> Best regards.
> Christophe.

Indeed I've done it.