POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : how to create a random coil Server Time
17 May 2024 04:31:00 EDT (-0400)
  how to create a random coil (Message 11 to 16 of 16)
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Subject: Re: how to create a random coil
Date: 19 Oct 2007 23:38:57
Message: <47197851$1@news.povray.org>

> Anybody knows how to draw a random coil in povray? I am very interested in
> doing this but not capable of doing it. I need help. Thanks in advance.

Your question isn't Windows-specific; ask in povray.general. You'd get
more help.

Post a reply to this message

From: St
Date: 20 Oct 2007 00:10:40
Message: <47197fc0@news.povray.org>
"zj905" <zj9### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
>I am doing some work on chemistry. The random coil looks like... It is
> better to give a sample. Please see this picture:
> http://www.psc.edu/science/Darden/bpti_spline_dense2.GIF. In this graph,
> the white-yellow chains are random coils. How to draw that? Thanks.

    Heh, ok, that's way out of my league! :) Oh, look, there's Charles, he
knows what he's doing... :)

     Good luck, and post an image in pov.binaries.images when you're done,
I'd love to see the end result.

     ~Steve~

Post a reply to this message

From: zj905
Date: 20 Oct 2007 11:05:00
Message: <web.471a184f144555e34f7090800@news.povray.org>
Image posted.

"St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote:
> "zj905" <zj9### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> >I am doing some work on chemistry. The random coil looks like... It is
> > better to give a sample. Please see this picture:
> > http://www.psc.edu/science/Darden/bpti_spline_dense2.GIF. In this graph,
> > the white-yellow chains are random coils. How to draw that? Thanks.
> >

>     Heh, ok, that's way out of my league! :) Oh, look, there's Charles, he
> knows what he's doing... :)
>
>      Good luck, and post an image in pov.binaries.images when you're done,
> I'd love to see the end result.
>
>      ~Steve~

Post a reply to this message

From: zj905
Date: 22 Oct 2007 14:55:00
Message: <web.471cf175144555e34849a21c0@news.povray.org>
A follow-up question:
If the chain collapsed onto the surface, how to describe it? The collapse is
not meaning lay down flat on the surface. In chemistry, this process is
called "coil-to-globule"
transition.http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://people.clarkson.edu/~sminko/nanostructured/responsive-smart-ma
terials/images/Single-Molecule-Under-Water.jpg&imgrefurl=http://people.clarkson.edu/~sminko/nanostructured/responsive-s
mart-materials/single-molecule.html&h=406&w=210&sz=25&hl=en&start=3&um=1&tbnid=7czUs9_DbTuIhM:&tbnh=124&tbnw=64&prev=/i
mages%3Fq%3Dcoil-to-globule%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1B2GGFB_enUS224%26sa%3DN

"zj905" <zj9### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Image posted.
>
> "St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote:
> > "zj905" <zj9### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> > >I am doing some work on chemistry. The random coil looks like... It is
> > > better to give a sample. Please see this picture:
> > > http://www.psc.edu/science/Darden/bpti_spline_dense2.GIF. In this graph,
> > > the white-yellow chains are random coils. How to draw that? Thanks.
> > >

> >     Heh, ok, that's way out of my league! :) Oh, look, there's Charles, he
> > knows what he's doing... :)
> >
> >      Good luck, and post an image in pov.binaries.images when you're done,
> > I'd love to see the end result.
> >
> >      ~Steve~

Post a reply to this message

From: zj905
Date: 22 Oct 2007 15:10:00
Message: <web.471cf53b144555e34849a21c0@news.povray.org>
A good sample shows here:
http://people.clarkson.edu/~sminko/?nanostructured/responsive-smart-materials/responsive-polymer-brush.html

Is it challenging?

"zj905" <zj9### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Image posted.
>
> "St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote:
> > "zj905" <zj9### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> > >I am doing some work on chemistry. The random coil looks like... It is
> > > better to give a sample. Please see this picture:
> > > http://www.psc.edu/science/Darden/bpti_spline_dense2.GIF. In this graph,
> > > the white-yellow chains are random coils. How to draw that? Thanks.
> > >

> >     Heh, ok, that's way out of my league! :) Oh, look, there's Charles, he
> > knows what he's doing... :)
> >
> >      Good luck, and post an image in pov.binaries.images when you're done,
> > I'd love to see the end result.
> >
> >      ~Steve~

Post a reply to this message

From: zozimus
Date: 26 Jan 2012 11:35:00
Message: <web.4f21804b144555e35b2611dd0@news.povray.org>
I am also trying to do something similar, and to make a micelle. Did you manage
to write a code to do something like that?