POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Cannot turn off autosave. Server Time
2 May 2024 23:05:28 EDT (-0400)
  Cannot turn off autosave. (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: gregjohn
Subject: Cannot turn off autosave.
Date: 2 Jan 2007 11:15:00
Message: <web.459a842943880e7040d56c170@news.povray.org>
Hello,  I am using Version 3.6.1c.icl8.win32 on a laptop with WinXP.
I have turned OFF (0 secs) the Auto-Save Delay as well as "Create Backups."

I have a CD full of povray scene-files that I created on one PC and need to
show on another.  I had intended, in a professional setting  (povving for
the DAY JOB!!!) to show these files to colleagues using in the Windows
povray Editor by loading them from CD.  Surely, not too an unreasonable
expectation.

However, I keep having to shut down these error messages every minute:

"Failed to save file: Access denied."

"Failed to save file 'FILENAME.EXT'
Cancel   Try Again    Continue  "

It surely ruins the professional atmosphere (and makes povray look BUGGY to
a non-enthusiast).    Perhaps either:
i) There's still something more I need to turn off, OR
ii) there is a bug in that it is impossible to turn off the auto-save.

Post a reply to this message

> Hello,  I am using Version 3.6.1c.icl8.win32 on a laptop with WinXP.
> I have turned OFF (0 secs) the Auto-Save Delay as well as "Create Backups."
<snip>
> However, I keep having to shut down these error messages every minute:

While I don't know what is wrong, *if* anything should indeed be wrong, the
logical workaround even if you don't know how to turn auto-save off seems to
be to set the interval to the maximum, not the minimum. At least that way
you only the the messages very infrequently...

	Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

> Hello,  I am using Version 3.6.1c.icl8.win32 on a laptop with WinXP.
> I have turned OFF (0 secs) the Auto-Save Delay as well as "Create Backups."
>
> I have a CD full of povray scene-files that I created on one PC and need to
> show on another.  I had intended, in a professional setting  (povving for
> the DAY JOB!!!) to show these files to colleagues using in the Windows
> povray Editor by loading them from CD.  Surely, not too an unreasonable
> expectation.
>

> However, I keep having to shut down these error messages every minute:
>

> "Failed to save file: Access denied."
>
> "Failed to save file 'FILENAME.EXT'
> Cancel   Try Again    Continue  "
>

> It surely ruins the professional atmosphere (and makes povray look BUGGY to
> a non-enthusiast).    Perhaps either:
> i) There's still something more I need to turn off, OR
> ii) there is a bug in that it is impossible to turn off the auto-save.

I can't replicate this issue and looking at the source shows that it should
not be possible. I suspect you are getting this message each time you switch
away from the program, after having changed a file in memory.

If this is the case, it is because you have 'auto-reload' enabled. For that
feature to work, it must save modified files whenever you switch to other
programs. Set 'auto-reload' to 'never' if you don't want this behavior.

-- Chris