POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Parse Error: Cannot read color depth from PPM image Server Time
17 May 2024 03:29:45 EDT (-0400)
  Parse Error: Cannot read color depth from PPM image (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: John
Subject: Parse Error: Cannot read color depth from PPM image
Date: 15 Sep 2005 11:30:00
Message: <web.4329930a83e0eaf5e660e66a0@news.povray.org>
Hello,

I was wondering if someone could help me? I have searched for an answer for
the last two days and thought perhaps it would be easier if I ask this
quesiton. I am a novice to POV but can see it's a great application so
please bear with me.

I am trying to use a file from a program called Castle Builder and when I go
to render the file (or almost any file which uses a PPM) I receice the
error:

"Parse Error: Cannot read color depth from PPM image"

The issue always seems to occur at the filename line (or at least that's the
line the editor highlights). I have an example below and was hoping someone
could help me, or perhaps even point me in the right direction?

height_field {
   ppm "C:/POV-Ray3.6/testcastle_hf.ppm"
   texture { ground_tx }
   scale <256,25,256>
   translate -1.5*y }

Is there something I'm missing or something I've set-up incorrectly? Would
anyone happen to know of a building/castle generator which works better
with POV than Castle Builder?

If you need any other information please let me know as I would very much
like to be able to merge terragen terrain files with buildings.

I appreciate any help that anyone can give and apologize if this issue has
been addressed elsewhere.

Thanks in advance,
John

Post a reply to this message

> I am trying to use a file from a program called Castle Builder and when I go
> to render the file (or almost any file which uses a PPM) I receice the
> error:
>
> "Parse Error: Cannot read color depth from PPM image"

You might want to try it with MegaPOV 1.2.1 - it contains a patch for
the PPM reader that makes it more tolerant to unusual header formating.

The other possibility is that your program generates incorrect PPM files.

Christoph

http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0013390/ (Last updated 24 Jul. 2005)

> > I am trying to use a file from a program called Castle Builder and when I go
> > to render the file (or almost any file which uses a PPM) I receice the
> > error:
> >
> > "Parse Error: Cannot read color depth from PPM image"
>
> You might want to try it with MegaPOV 1.2.1 - it contains a patch for
> the PPM reader that makes it more tolerant to unusual header formating.
>
> The other possibility is that your program generates incorrect PPM files.
>
> Christoph
>
> --
> POV-Ray tutorials, include files, Landscape of the week:
> http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0013390/ (Last updated 24 Jul. 2005)
> MegaPOV with mechanics simulation: http://megapov.inetart.net/

MegaPOV worked perfectly!

Thank you Christoph!