POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Color syntax hilighting and administrative privileges Server Time
18 May 2024 18:35:29 EDT (-0400)
  Color syntax hilighting and administrative privileges (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Dave Matthews
Subject: Color syntax hilighting and administrative privileges
Date: 13 Jul 2005 11:30:00
Message: <web.42d5329e112a34ae7196f5900@news.povray.org>
I've just installed POVRay for Windows on a computer for which I don't have
administrative privileges.  I needed to make some quick demos and it's
worked fine for that.  I notice, though, that even after saving a file, the
color syntax hilighting doesn't kick in.  I'm guessing that this is due to
being unable to install some .dll files or something?  (I don't know jack
about Windows, but I'm picking up bits and pieces -- know what they say
about "a little knowledge.")

No big deal, just curious.

Also, anything else I should be warned of?  (Especially, anything I should
uninstall besides dragging the folder to the trash, when I have to
relinquish the machine in a few weeks?  I don't know whether the regular
user would be into POVRay -- some people are just strange that way.)

Dave Matthews

Post a reply to this message

Dave Matthews nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2005-07-13 11:26:
> I've just installed POVRay for Windows on a computer for which I don't have
> administrative privileges.  I needed to make some quick demos and it's
> worked fine for that.  I notice, though, that even after saving a file, the
> color syntax hilighting doesn't kick in.  I'm guessing that this is due to
> being unable to install some .dll files or something?  (I don't know jack
> about Windows, but I'm picking up bits and pieces -- know what they say
> about "a little knowledge.")
>
> No big deal, just curious.
>
> Also, anything else I should be warned of?  (Especially, anything I should
> uninstall besides dragging the folder to the trash, when I have to
> relinquish the machine in a few weeks?  I don't know whether the regular
> user would be into POVRay -- some people are just strange that way.)
>
> Dave Matthews

It's just a small aestetic bug. When you save a new scene file, the editor don't know
it's format.
You need to use "Save as..." to immediately get the colour hilighting.
You can just delete the POV Ray folder and any shortcut made. There will be some
registry entries
left like file association and a few paths. There are NO other files installed
anywhere else on the
computer.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

From: Dave Matthews
Date: 13 Jul 2005 13:55:01
Message: <web.42d5549123fbdb797196f5900@news.povray.org>
Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> You need to use "Save as..." to immediately get the colour hilighting.

Sure enough!

> You can just delete the POV Ray folder and any shortcut made. There will be some
registry entries
> left like file association and a few paths. There are NO other files installed
anywhere else on the
> computer.
>
> Alain

Thanks!