POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Povray without installation? Povray in a grid. Server Time
2 Jun 2024 10:07:40 EDT (-0400)
  Povray without installation? Povray in a grid. (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Crysus
Subject: Povray without installation? Povray in a grid.
Date: 8 Oct 2004 10:20:00
Message: <web.4166a1cdfbcfaaae1bc421ef0@news.povray.org>
Hello!

I need a standalone povray version for Windows without an installer (and
registry entries). All what i need is just the renderer, no GUI etc. Is
there something like that available?

I need that for following purpose:
We set up a High Throughput Computing pool with lots of machines in it. Now
i can submit the server lots of Jobs (An executable with commands,
additional files etc.) and the server looks for machines in that pool that
match best the requirements of the job and let that machine execute and
send back the results.

So.. Povray on Linux-machines works properly with that, i send a big
renderjob (movie) and the server gives pieces of that job to linux-machines
which execute that job. The server has to send the povray-executable and
the ini-file(s) to each execute machine - works fine, especially you have
big renderjobs.

The problem is povray on Windows machines. I haven't found any solution, how
i can render something with povray without having installed povray (3.6).
The registry entries seem to be important. But I mustn't just add these
registry entries on the execute machines.

Is there a povray version that can work without beeing installed. Only the
renering is required, the GUI etc. should not been started. Just start -
render - exit, without installation.

Thanks for help

Thomas Lisson

Post a reply to this message

> I need a standalone povray version for Windows without an installer (and
> registry entries). All what i need is just the renderer, no GUI etc. Is
> there something like that available?
>
> I need that for following purpose:
> We set up a High Throughput Computing pool with lots of machines in it. Now
> i can submit the server lots of Jobs (An executable with commands,
> additional files etc.) and the server looks for machines in that pool that
> match best the requirements of the job and let that machine execute and
> send back the results.
>
> So.. Povray on Linux-machines works properly with that, i send a big
> renderjob (movie) and the server gives pieces of that job to linux-machines
> which execute that job. The server has to send the povray-executable and
> the ini-file(s) to each execute machine - works fine, especially you have
> big renderjobs.
>
> The problem is povray on Windows machines. I haven't found any solution, how
> i can render something with povray without having installed povray (3.6).
> The registry entries seem to be important. But I mustn't just add these
> registry entries on the execute machines.

You can build the Unix version of POV-Ray on Windows without problems.
But POV-Ray for Unix also requires an installation to function properly.

Christoph

Last updated 23 Sep. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message

Install MINGW, which will give you a linux shell under windows.
./configure
make
and TADA - you have a statically compiled POVRAY.EXE somewhere in your disk.
Insteresting that I did just exactly what you want.  I made the whole
fractal.pov video (+1000 frames) using Condor.

Henrique Bucher

"Crysus" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
> Hello!
>
> I need a standalone povray version for Windows without an installer (and
> registry entries). All what i need is just the renderer, no GUI etc. Is
> there something like that available?
>
> I need that for following purpose:
> We set up a High Throughput Computing pool with lots of machines in it.
> Now
> i can submit the server lots of Jobs (An executable with commands,
> additional files etc.) and the server looks for machines in that pool that
> match best the requirements of the job and let that machine execute and
> send back the results.
>
> So.. Povray on Linux-machines works properly with that, i send a big
> renderjob (movie) and the server gives pieces of that job to
> linux-machines
> which execute that job. The server has to send the povray-executable and
> the ini-file(s) to each execute machine - works fine, especially you have
> big renderjobs.
>
> The problem is povray on Windows machines. I haven't found any solution,
> how
> i can render something with povray without having installed povray (3.6).
> The registry entries seem to be important. But I mustn't just add these
> registry entries on the execute machines.
>
> Is there a povray version that can work without beeing installed. Only the
> renering is required, the GUI etc. should not been started. Just start -
> render - exit, without installation.
>
> Thanks for help
>
> Thomas Lisson

Post a reply to this message

Thank you very much for your solutions. It works great.
I also use the Condor environment.

greetz
Thomas Lisson

Post a reply to this message

"Henrique" <hen### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Quick solution:
> Install MINGW, which will give you a linux shell under windows.
> ./configure
> make
> and TADA - you have a statically compiled POVRAY.EXE somewhere in your disk.
> Insteresting that I did just exactly what you want.  I made the whole
> fractal.pov video (+1000 frames) using Condor.
>
> Henrique Bucher
>

> "Crysus" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
> > Hello!
> >
> > I need a standalone povray version for Windows without an installer (and
> > registry entries). All what i need is just the renderer, no GUI etc. Is
> > there something like that available?
> >
> > I need that for following purpose:
> > We set up a High Throughput Computing pool with lots of machines in it.
> > Now
> > i can submit the server lots of Jobs (An executable with commands,
> > additional files etc.) and the server looks for machines in that pool that
> > match best the requirements of the job and let that machine execute and
> > send back the results.
> >
> > So.. Povray on Linux-machines works properly with that, i send a big
> > renderjob (movie) and the server gives pieces of that job to
> > linux-machines
> > which execute that job. The server has to send the povray-executable and
> > the ini-file(s) to each execute machine - works fine, especially you have
> > big renderjobs.
> >
> > The problem is povray on Windows machines. I haven't found any solution,
> > how
> > i can render something with povray without having installed povray (3.6).
> > The registry entries seem to be important. But I mustn't just add these
> > registry entries on the execute machines.
> >
> > Is there a povray version that can work without beeing installed. Only the
> > renering is required, the GUI etc. should not been started. Just start -
> > render - exit, without installation.
> >
> > Thanks for help
> >
> > Thomas Lisson

and it borrows a lot from the EGEE European GRID.
EELA:
www.eu-eela.org
EGEE:
www.eu-egee.org/

Do you have any advice on how to run POVRAY on a grid system both for
animations and still renders(sectioning the scene)?

So far I have found an old mpi version of povray 3.5c right on these forums
but nothin related to the latest version.

Thank You in advance.