POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : PoVray 3.5, Win XP and virtual memory problem Server Time
1 Jul 2024 01:58:55 EDT (-0400)
  PoVray 3.5, Win XP and virtual memory problem (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Jinx
Subject: PoVray 3.5, Win XP and virtual memory problem
Date: 30 Aug 2002 13:35:03
Message: <web.3d6fac8f676caef56f5e5ab30@news.povray.org>
I've got win xp at home, and I've noticed that if a scene uses up all
available physical memory and starts to fill up the pagefile, then win xp
will always "reallocate" the memory, so that pov cannot free it when the
render finishes...

it's best noticed on task manager (and other apps) that show that pov is
"only using 400Mb RAM" when infact it is nearer 1Gb...
And then once the render is finished, the 600Mb difference cannot be
recovered.

any solutions (anyone else actually seen this?)

Nigel

Post a reply to this message

> I've got win xp at home, and I've noticed that if a scene uses up all
> available physical memory and starts to fill up the pagefile, then win xp
> will always "reallocate" the memory, so that pov cannot free it when the
> render finishes...
>
> it's best noticed on task manager (and other apps) that show that pov is
> "only using 400Mb RAM" when infact it is nearer 1Gb...
> And then once the render is finished, the 600Mb difference cannot be
> recovered.
>
> any solutions (anyone else actually seen this?)

What you describe is obviously a windows problem (either a real problem or
just a bug in the display of memory use).  I don't know windows xp
personally but from what i have heard it's not the best choice of an OS
for heavy memory use.  Apart from that using more memory than available
for POV-Ray is usually not a good idea, no matter what OS.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,
Last updated 13 Aug. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______