POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : ATTN: Windows users, is your privacy guarranteed? Server Time
6 Oct 2024 03:43:48 EDT (-0400)
  ATTN: Windows users, is your privacy guarranteed? (Message 11 to 11 of 11)
From: Tom Melly
Subject: Re: ATTN: Windows users, is your privacy guarranteed?
Date: 9 Mar 2000 07:59:30
Message: <38c7a032$1@news.povray.org>
Suggest we move this thread to o.t.?

Thanks for the info.

The basic principle of the software that the link is about seems a good
one - by which I mean shareware/freeware software writers actually stand to
make some money for once ;)

Nor does it seem appalling that the add software runs without the host
program needing to be active - after all, the adds have to be downloaded.

However IMHO, the two problems are a) the user is unaware of this running
program, and it cannot be easily uninstalled, and b) all the privacy issues
are created by the info sent from the host PC, which after all is not
necessery if the main aim is to display some adds.

I can see why the company want the additional info, but they've opened a can
of worms for themselves that they presumably could have done without. We are
rightly and naturally suspicious of advertising, and such companies do
themselves no favours by concealing their activities, whether innocently or
otherwise.