POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : 1 minute delay at startup... Server Time
26 Jun 2024 03:50:19 EDT (-0400)
  1 minute delay at startup... (Message 1 to 10 of 24)
From: Marc Champagne
Subject: 1 minute delay at startup...
Date: 7 Sep 2003 09:11:25
Message: <Xns93EF5D122FEE0POVMIKA@204.213.191.226>
Hi Folks,

I have been experiencing long delays when launching POV for windows, it
take anywhere from 30 seconds to 90 seconds before it has "loaded" and
is ready to use.

During this time there is lots of HD activity (scratching).

The HD's are regularly defragged.

For what it's worth, I have Win 2000, 1 gigahertz, 512k ram, plenty of
disk space.

This happens with and without scenes loaded and is usually on first
launch after being closed for a while, subsequent loads are quick.

What does POV do on startup that would explain all this scratching?

Thanks

--
Marc Champagne
marcch.AT.videotron.DOT.ca

Post a reply to this message

In article <Xns### [at] 204213191226> , Marc Champagne
<marcch.AT.videotron.DOT.ca>  wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I have been experiencing long delays when launching POV for windows, it
> take anywhere from 30 seconds to 90 seconds before it has "loaded" and
> is ready to use.
>
> During this time there is lots of HD activity (scratching).
>
> The HD's are regularly defragged.
>
> For what it's worth, I have Win 2000, 1 gigahertz, 512k ram, plenty of
> disk space.
>
> This happens with and without scenes loaded and is usually on first
> launch after being closed for a while, subsequent loads are quick.
>
> What does POV do on startup that would explain all this scratching?

POV-Ray is deliberately trying to destroy your harddisk, isn't it obvious?

No, serious, you are just hunting ghosts.  Maybe you should get a less noisy
harddisk... :-)

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

"Marc Champagne" <marcch.AT.videotron.DOT.ca> wrote in message
news:Xns### [at] 204213191226...
> Hi Folks,
>
> I have been experiencing long delays when launching POV for windows,
it
> take anywhere from 30 seconds to 90 seconds before it has "loaded"
and
> is ready to use.

     I'm getting exactly the same. Sometimes the 'splash' image just
hangs there for some time too...

   ~Steve~

> Marc Champagne
> marcch.AT.videotron.DOT.ca
> Montreal, CANADA

Post a reply to this message

"Thorsten Froehlich" <tho### [at] trfde> wrote in

> In article <Xns### [at] 204213191226> , Marc Champagne
><marcch.AT.videotron.DOT.ca>  wrote:
>
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I have been experiencing long delays when launching POV for windows, it
>> take anywhere from 30 seconds to 90 seconds before it has "loaded" and
>> is ready to use.
>>
>> During this time there is lots of HD activity (scratching).
>>
>> The HD's are regularly defragged.
>>
>> For what it's worth, I have Win 2000, 1 gigahertz, 512k ram, plenty of
>> disk space.
>>
>> This happens with and without scenes loaded and is usually on first
>> launch after being closed for a while, subsequent loads are quick.
>>
>> What does POV do on startup that would explain all this scratching?
>
> POV-Ray is deliberately trying to destroy your harddisk, isn't it
> obvious?
>
> No, serious, you are just hunting ghosts.  Maybe you should get a less
> noisy harddisk... :-)

Thorston, the noise I'm least concerned about, I'm trying to find out what
POV for windows does at startup that takes so much time before it's ready
for use.

--
Marc Champagne
marcch.AT.videotron.DOT.ca