POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Not using all CPU Server Time
28 Mar 2024 14:38:16 EDT (-0400)
  Not using all CPU (Message 11 to 14 of 14)
From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Not using all CPU
Date: 14 Jan 2021 02:48:41
Message: <5ffff759$1@news.povray.org>
Op 13/01/2021 om 20:46 schreef Mike Horvath:
> Yeah, my old PC was always pegged at 100% CPU on all 4 cores.
>
> This is frustrating because the whole reason I got such a powerful CPU
> was so that I could do more raytracing. Otherwise, I don't need such a
> good CPU.
>
> :(

For a render, I typically set +WT at 'maximum logical processors minus
2'. As I have here 6 cores and thus 12 logical processors, I set +WT10.
Thus I am always able to do something else besides the render.

Possibly, your WT is set low by default. Changing WT and watching the
Task Manager you will see CPU utilisation change. I noticed that when
CPU utilisation gets close to 90+% no render time is really gained, so
it seems always better to set a lower WT to keep it under the 100%

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

Le 2021-01-14 à 02:48, Thomas de Groot a écrit :
> Op 13/01/2021 om 20:46 schreef Mike Horvath:
>> Yeah, my old PC was always pegged at 100% CPU on all 4 cores.
>>
>> This is frustrating because the whole reason I got such a powerful CPU
>> was so that I could do more raytracing. Otherwise, I don't need such a
>> good CPU.
>>
>> :(
>>

> For a render, I typically set +WT at 'maximum logical processors minus
> 2'. As I have here 6 cores and thus 12 logical processors, I set +WT10.
> Thus I am always able to do something else besides the render.
>
> Possibly, your WT is set low by default. Changing WT and watching the
> Task Manager you will see CPU utilisation change. I noticed that when
> CPU utilisation gets close to 90+% no render time is really gained, so
> it seems always better to set a lower WT to keep it under the 100%

Leaving the rendering priority to normal and using all logical cores all
the time and I experience no slowing down for the other processes.
IF I set the rendering priority to high, then I do need to reserve at
least one core for other tasks.

The normal priority set the rendering effective priority to «lower than
normal» while the high priority do set the effective priority to high.

Post a reply to this message

Op 14/01/2021 om 18:13 schreef Alain Martel:
> Leaving the rendering priority to normal and using all logical cores all
> the time and I experience no slowing down for the other processes.
> IF I set the rendering priority to high, then I do need to reserve at
> least one core for other tasks.
>
> The normal priority set the rendering effective priority to «lower than
> normal» while the high priority do set the effective priority to high.

Ah, ok. I still have ingrained habits from older times it seems ;-)

However, I do prefer to set a bit lower number of WT's on my laptop
because of the insane noise of the fans otherwise when rendering complex
scenes. Maybe I should use Duty Cycle instead... It is something I have
not thought about really seriously.

--
Thomas