POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Processor affinity? Server Time
28 Mar 2024 12:42:45 EDT (-0400)
  Processor affinity? (Message 19 to 28 of 28)
From: Alain
Subject: Re: Processor affinity?
Date: 5 Mar 2018 15:48:31
Message: <5a9dad1f$1@news.povray.org>

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/pcs/cpus/1400962/whats-the-difference-between-core-i3-i5-and-i7-processors

>>> One other thought, only slightly relevant.
>>>
>>> If, toward the end of rendering a frame, you find that you are
>>> waiting for one or two blocks to finish. Setting Render_Block_Size to
>>> a smallish value allows all of your cores to work on the blocks
>>> instead of being idle. I generally use +BS8
>>>
>>> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Tracing_Options#Render_Block_Size
>>>

>> Ah, yes! That might be very relevant indeed. Thanks!
>>

> Sorry if I did not mention it when we were working on Dhalgren? .
>
> I leave +BS8 in the command line box. It is persistent and is there
> whenever I start Pov 3.7. Unless I delete or change it.

You also can set it in povray.ini.

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Horvath
Date: 5 Mar 2018 21:05:34
Message: <5a9df76e$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/5/2018 6:31 AM, dick balaska wrote:
> I have been grooving on Render_Pattern=3 lately.  This causes the middle
> of the pic to be rendered first, which is usually where the heavy blocks
> will live. It's also good for preview.
>
> I was doing +wt6 for awhile. I agree leaving only 2 threads is
> sufficient to have a responsive computer.  But I preferred to run +wt8
> and then turn off 2 POV-Ray threads with Task Manager while using the
> computer, and then turning them back on when done.
>
> But, now I run Ubuntu and I have no control over affinity and priority
> anyway. ;)

A spiral render pattern might be nice. That way, the center regions of
the screen get rendered first.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 5 Mar 2018 23:22:56
Message: <5a9e17a0$1@news.povray.org>
On 05/03/2018 20:48, Alain wrote:
> You also can set it in povray.ini.

Maybe it was not obvious just quoting the ini command, Render_Block_Size.

The reason I use the command line. Is that by using a modeller. The ini
file is hard coded. So that is an extra step in running the render.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> On 05/03/2018 12:18, Thomas de Groot wrote:

>>> Yes my i7 CPU has 6 cores and 12 threads.
>>
>> I am always unsure about these things. I think my i7 CPU has one core
>> and 8 threads. As far as I know...
>>
> It is generally 2 threads per core.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/pcs/cpus/1400962/whats-the-difference-between-core-i3-i5-and-i7-processors

It is like cars. I have no idea what is happening under the hood. For
all I know there is a bunch of squirrels running about in a treadmill ;-)

>>> One other thought, only slightly relevant.
>>>
>>> If, toward the end of rendering a frame, you find that you are
>>> waiting for one or two blocks to finish. Setting Render_Block_Size to
>>> a smallish value allows all of your cores to work on the blocks
>>> instead of being idle. I generally use +BS8
>>>
>>> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Tracing_Options#Render_Block_Size
>>>

>> Ah, yes! That might be very relevant indeed. Thanks!
>>

> Sorry if I did not mention it when we were working on Dhalgren? .

You probably did, and I did not pay attention :-)

> I leave +BS8 in the command line box. It is persistent and is there
> whenever I start Pov 3.7. Unless I delete or change it.

Yes, that is an excellent idea.... Done.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

> Maybe it was not obvious just quoting the ini command, Render_Block_Size.
>
> The reason I use the command line. Is that by using a modeller. The ini
> file is hard coded. So that is an extra step in running the render.

The "master" INI file `povray.ini` is always loaded, even if the scene
comes with its own INI file.

Post a reply to this message