POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Shell commands are not run Server Time
28 Mar 2024 19:06:49 EDT (-0400)
  Shell commands are not run (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: kendfrey
Subject: Shell commands are not run
Date: 9 Jan 2014 14:30:00
Message: <web.52cef79cd1a46cc3dcb908040@news.povray.org>
Shell commands in my INI file are not run. I tried Pre- and Post_Scene_Command,
as well as the corresponding Frame commands.

Options > Script I/O restrictions > Disable Starting Other Programs is NOT
checked.

I first tried Pre_Scene_Command=del *.png, since I want to clear all previous
output (for animation). I currently have Pre_Scene_Command=mkdir foo. Neither
command seems to have any effect when rendering. They work fine when run via the
Windows command prompt.

This is the entirety of my current INI file (life-Copy.ini):

Pre_Scene_Command=mkdir foo
Input_File_Name=life-Copy.pov

life-Copy.pov is completely empty.

When rendering, no foo folder appears beside my INI file.

I am using "POV-Ray(tm) for Windows - Version 3.7.0.msvc10.win64" on Windows 7.

Is this a bug, or am I missing something?

Your help is appreciated.

Post a reply to this message

> When rendering, no foo folder appears beside my INI file.
> Is this a bug, or am I missing something?

As in good old MS-DOS times, mkdir isn't really a program, but a
built-in keyword of cmd.exe; this might be why it isn't working.

Try placing the command inside a batch file (e.g. "foo.bat") and
specifying that batch file as Pre_Scene_Command.

Post a reply to this message

> As in good old MS-DOS times, mkdir isn't really a program, but a
> built-in keyword of cmd.exe; this might be why it isn't working.
>
> Try placing the command inside a batch file (e.g. "foo.bat") and
> specifying that batch file as Pre_Scene_Command.

I set Pre_Scene_Command=notepad, which I know isn't a built-in command. Notepad
did not appear. It doesn't seem to be an issue with command vs. executable.

Post a reply to this message

>> As in good old MS-DOS times, mkdir isn't really a program, but a
>> built-in keyword of cmd.exe; this might be why it isn't working.
>>
>> Try placing the command inside a batch file (e.g. "foo.bat") and
>> specifying that batch file as Pre_Scene_Command.
>
> I set Pre_Scene_Command=notepad, which I know isn't a built-in command. Notepad
> did not appear. It doesn't seem to be an issue with command vs. executable.

I think I recall notepad to be problematic as a test for this feature
for /some/ reason, though I don't remember why.

Do try with the batch file.

Post a reply to this message

> I think I recall notepad to be problematic as a test for this feature
> for /some/ reason, though I don't remember why.
>
> Do try with the batch file.

Aha! I had tried with the batch file, but I put notepad in it, and not mkdir or
del. When I tried mkdir, it worked!

It appears the best way to use shell-outs is to just use a batch file and put
everything in there.

Thank you for your help!