POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : poor cpu utilization under win2k Server Time
3 Jul 2024 00:00:01 EDT (-0400)
  poor cpu utilization under win2k (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Quickling
Subject: poor cpu utilization under win2k
Date: 21 Feb 2002 19:49:56
Message: <3c7595b4@news.povray.org>
Hi,  I have POV version 3.1g.watcom.win32 running under Win2000 on an AMD
athlon CPU.  With POV as the only busy app, rendering an animation, I have
noticed that the 'pvengine.exe' processor utilization while rendering
lingers around 80%-90%, especially when the frames render quickly -- more
time seems to be spent shuffling windows than rendering, and between frames
utilization can drop below 60%.  Oddly, this effect can be overcome by
opening a file menu and leaving it open, or by clicking and holding a
scrollbar slider - this can cause my 320x240 animation to render up to 30%
faster.  Setting render priority does not resolve the problem.

Is this a known problem, and if so is it considered an important issue?
It's certainly important to me since I want to be using the whole processor
when the only thing my computer is doing is rendering frames.

I've also noticed this problem with older versions of povray.

Thanks,
Jesse

Post a reply to this message