POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Displaying Line Numbers in POVRay editor Server Time
2 Jul 2024 23:16:12 EDT (-0400)
  Displaying Line Numbers in POVRay editor (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Reuben Pearse
Subject: Displaying Line Numbers in POVRay editor
Date: 12 Jul 2001 19:35:12
Message: <3b4e3430$1@news.povray.org>
Hi all,

Is there an option in the POVRay editor/CodeMax to show the line numbers
down the side of the document?

Reuben
doo### [at] breathemailnet

Post a reply to this message

From: Bob H
Subject: Re: Displaying Line Numbers in POVRay editor
Date: 12 Jul 2001 22:42:06
Message: <3b4e5ffe@news.povray.org>
Yes, with a file open in the editor press Alt + Enter or go to Editor (main
menu) and Properties.  Under Misc you set Line Numbering Style to Decimal to
see them in the usual interger count.

Bob H.

"Reuben Pearse" <reu### [at] presence-systemscom> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Is there an option in the POVRay editor/CodeMax to show the line numbers
> down the side of the document?
>
> Reuben
> doo### [at] breathemailnet

Post a reply to this message

> Yes, with a file open in the editor press Alt + Enter or go to Editor (main
> menu) and Properties.  Under Misc you set Line Numbering Style to Decimal to
> see them in the usual interger count.

Now is we could get a "goto" command everything would be great...

> > Yes, with a file open in the editor press Alt + Enter or go to Editor
(main
> > menu) and Properties.  Under Misc you set Line Numbering Style to
Decimal to
> > see them in the usual interger count.
>
> Now is we could get a "goto" command everything would be great...

I take it that was a joke about programming languages which use line
numbers, as the editor does already have a Go To Line via Ctrl+G.  I don't
know if I'd want POV parsing by jumping around in the file like that.

Bob H.

Post a reply to this message

> I take it that was a joke about programming languages which use line
> numbers, as the editor does already have a Go To Line via Ctrl+G.  I don't
> know if I'd want POV parsing by jumping around in the file like that.
>
> Bob H.
Smart loops are often more usefull then goto's
Ambis

Post a reply to this message

From: Rick [Kitty5]
Date: 14 Aug 2001 18:02:22
Message: <3b799fee$1@news.povray.org>
> Smart loops are often more usefull then goto's

but goto's are more fun,  especially whan you call all your labels 'LAB_A,
LAB_B, LAB_C' etc etc :)

--
Rick

Kitty5 WebDesign - http://Kitty5.com
Hi-Impact database driven web site design & e-commerce
TEL : +44 (01625) 266358 - FAX : +44 (01625) 611913 - ICQ : 15776037
POV-Ray News & Resources - http://Povray.co.uk

PGP Public Key

From: Andrea Ryan
Date: 14 Aug 2001 23:00:26
Message: <3B79E3C1.C8E82296@global2000.net>
"Rick [Kitty5]" wrote:

> > Smart loops are often more usefull then goto's
>
> but goto's are more fun,  especially whan you call all your labels 'LAB_A,
> LAB_B, LAB_C' etc etc :)

I guess that they are more fun because the code gets cryptic and it is
fun when others have to guess how it works until you explain it to
them.  But cryptic code is not as useful as clear code since clear code
can be understood and modified easily.
Brendan

Post a reply to this message

From: Markus Becker
Date: 15 Aug 2001 08:28:14
Message: <3B7A6B02.CD6F6F94@aicoss.de>
AC wrote:

> Smart loops are often more usefull then goto's

Smart gotos are often more useful than cryptic loops.

Markus

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 15 Aug 2001 13:14:25
Message: <3b7aadf1@news.povray.org>
Markus Becker <bec### [at] aicossde> wrote:
: Smart gotos are often more useful than cryptic loops.

  I have coded more than 2 years C++ professionally (ie. I make my living)
in a University in a Computer technology department. I have written several
tens of thousands of code (plus more as hobby).
  I have never needed to use goto.

  No, I don't hate goto and I don't avoid it intentionally. It's just that
I have still not found myself in a situation where goto would be the easiest
and cleanest solution.
  I don't make cryptic loops either.

--
#macro N(D,I)#if(I<6)cylinder{M()#local D[I]=div(D[I],104);M().5,2pigment{
rgb M()}}N(D,(D[I]>99?I:I+1))#end#end#macro M()<mod(D[I],13)-6,mod(div(D[I

Post a reply to this message

From: Scott Hill
Date: 15 Aug 2001 13:58:25
Message: <3b7ab841$1@news.povray.org>
> Markus Becker <bec### [at] aicossde> wrote:
> : Smart gotos are often more useful than cryptic loops.
>
>   I have coded more than 2 years C++ professionally (ie. I make my living)
> in a University in a Computer technology department. I have written
several
> tens of thousands of code (plus more as hobby).
>   I have never needed to use goto.

    Sure, but how often do you use exception handling ? Before try & catch
existed, goto's were very handy for good, clean & safe exception handling.

--
Scott Hill.
Software Engineer.

*Everything in this message/post is purely IMHO and no-one-else's*