POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Tool for splitting up render job? Server Time
5 Jul 2024 05:59:20 EDT (-0400)
  Tool for splitting up render job? (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: MPunk3
Subject: Tool for splitting up render job?
Date: 19 Feb 2001 09:04:17
Message: <3a9127e1$1@news.povray.org>
I have several machines of varying power (450MHz, 500MHz, 700MHz, 821MHz)
and an image which is taking 48 hours to render on my 700. I'd like to split
the rendering job up and knit the output images together.

I know how to do this with the start/stop row switches and something crude
like cut/paste work in Photoshop or whatever, but I'm looking for something
to make my life easier. I'm guessing I'll have to roll my own, but I'd
really rather avoid it if someone else has already done the hard work.

Is anyone aware of a tool which I can use to automate this? All machines are
running some flavor of Win2K (Pro or Advanced Server).

This would be an awesome feature for POV-Win, if any POV developers are out
there listening. Heck, as long as I'm making a request, how about a simple
IP-based listener and make it fully remote? Then I could subvert the
machines in my office to my nefarious rendering needs, too. Get some of
those monster servers to do my dirty work. Or... imagine a SETI@home style
public rendering farm... hmm... anyway, I digress. You get the basic idea.

Anyway, any tips, ideas, links, or "Great Idea, Beta Test This EXE" from the
POV team would be appreciated...