POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Povray 3.5 Server Time
8 Jul 2024 03:36:43 EDT (-0400)
  Povray 3.5 (Message 1 to 10 of 15)
From: Psychomek
Subject: Povray 3.5
Date: 4 Mar 2000 05:19:36
Message: <38C0E6A1.33010AD8@cyberhighway.net>
Any idea when it will be released?

Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Subject: Re: Povray 3.5
Date: 4 Mar 2000 06:00:06
Message: <38C0ECFA.6B850376@pacbell.net>
Psychomek wrote:

> Any idea when it will be released?

Hopefully sometime this year - maybe sooner. The POV-Team is not in the
habit of giving specific dates and there is a good chance they do not
even no for sure when exactly it will be released.

This comes from the message "Welcome to the POV-Ray news groups" in
the povray.announce.frequently-asked-questions group...

New Versions of POV-Ray - Please Don't Ask

  One of the most asked questions we hear in the news groups is  -

  "When will the next version of POV-Ray be released ?"

   The answer is that they will not tell you. The POV-Team is a group
of volunteers working on the development of the program in their free
time. They do not like deadlines and will only release a new version
when they have time to finish it. They also need time to ensure they
have the bugs worked out of it before releasing it publicly.

For this reason *PLEASE* do not ask when the next version will be released.
If they spend all of their time answering this question they will not have
time to work on the next release of the program. When it is time they will
notify you through public announcements on this server and on the POV-Ray
home page - http://www.povray.org.

  We thank you for understanding our position on this matter.

> Hopefully sometime this year - maybe sooner. The POV-Team is not in the
> habit of giving specific dates and there is a good chance they do not
> even no for sure when exactly it will be released.
>
> This comes from the message "Welcome to the POV-Ray news groups" in
> the povray.announce.frequently-asked-questions group...
>
> New Versions of POV-Ray - Please Don't Ask
>
>   One of the most asked questions we hear in the news groups is  -
>
>   "When will the next version of POV-Ray be released ?"
>
>    The answer is that they will not tell you. The POV-Team is a group
> of volunteers working on the development of the program in their free
> time. They do not like deadlines and will only release a new version
> when they have time to finish it. They also need time to ensure they
> have the bugs worked out of it before releasing it publicly.
>
> For this reason *PLEASE* do not ask when the next version will be released.
> If they spend all of their time answering this question they will not have
> time to work on the next release of the program. When it is time they will
> notify you through public announcements on this server and on the POV-Ray
> home page - http://www.povray.org.
>
>   We thank you for understanding our position on this matter.
>
> --
> Ken Tyler -  1300+ Povray, Graphics, 3D Rendering, and Raytracing Links:

Thanks i was just wanting a rough estimate so what you gave was more than
enough (Typical AI.....   *Runs and takes cover!*)

:}  Thanks again :}

Post a reply to this message

On Sat, 04 Mar 2000 03:01:14 -0800, Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:

>Hopefully sometime this year - maybe sooner.

Sooner than this year? Wow! That *would* be soon. Apparently the
POV-Team has created a time machine with version 3.5    :)

Later,
Glen Berry

Post a reply to this message

Glen Berry <7no### [at] ezwvcom> wrote in message
> On Sat, 04 Mar 2000 03:01:14 -0800, Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:
>
> >Hopefully sometime this year - maybe sooner.
>
> Sooner than this year? Wow! That *would* be soon. Apparently the
> POV-Team has created a time machine with version 3.5    :)
>
> Later,
> Glen Berry

Maybe they have, only history will tell :)

Post a reply to this message

> Glen Berry <7no### [at] ezwvcom> wrote in message
> > On Sat, 04 Mar 2000 03:01:14 -0800, Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:
> >
> > >Hopefully sometime this year - maybe sooner.
> >
> > Sooner than this year? Wow! That *would* be soon. Apparently the
> > POV-Team has created a time machine with version 3.5    :)
> >
> > Later,
> > Glen Berry
>
> Maybe they have, only history will tell :)

Post a reply to this message

Personally, I think the functionality that Nathan et al have been delivering
in megaPOV is fantastic.  I think the POV Team will be hard pressed to
improve upon that performance in v3.5

--
Jim

Check out my web site  http://www.kressworks.com/

Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote in message

> Psychomek wrote:
> >
> > Any idea when it will be released?
>
> Hopefully sometime this year - maybe sooner. The POV-Team is not in the
> habit of giving specific dates and there is a good chance they do not
> even no for sure when exactly it will be released.
>

> This comes from the message "Welcome to the POV-Ray news groups" in
> the povray.announce.frequently-asked-questions group...
>

> New Versions of POV-Ray - Please Don't Ask
>
>   One of the most asked questions we hear in the news groups is  -
>
>   "When will the next version of POV-Ray be released ?"
>
>    The answer is that they will not tell you. The POV-Team is a group
> of volunteers working on the development of the program in their free
> time. They do not like deadlines and will only release a new version
> when they have time to finish it. They also need time to ensure they
> have the bugs worked out of it before releasing it publicly.
>
> For this reason *PLEASE* do not ask when the next version will be
released.
> If they spend all of their time answering this question they will not have
> time to work on the next release of the program. When it is time they will
> notify you through public announcements on this server and on the POV-Ray
> home page - http://www.povray.org.
>
>   We thank you for understanding our position on this matter.
>

> --
> Ken Tyler -  1300+ Povray, Graphics, 3D Rendering, and Raytracing Links:

> Personally, I think the functionality that Nathan et al have been delivering
> in megaPOV is fantastic.  I think the POV Team will be hard pressed to
> improve upon that performance in v3.5

Why? (rhetoric)   Nathan in in the POV-Team...

      Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

Jim Kress <jim### [at] kressworkscom> wrote:
: Personally, I think the functionality that Nathan et al have been delivering

  Btw, what does this expression "et al" mean?

>   Btw, what does this expression "et al" mean?

et al.
  abbr. Latin

       Et alii (and others).

In this context it mean not only Nathan but the other contributors to
the patch.